Thread: Hypokalemia post-workout page

jtrain_36 is offline Member

Hypokalemia post-workout

Primal Fuel
    Monday morning I did a heavy leg day in the gym. After walking around and getting some coffee I sat down for about 20 minutes or so. After trying to get up I then promptly fell flat on my face, apparently I was unable to contract my quadriceps whatsoever.

I went to the ER and after having blood drawn, found out that I had Hypokalemia (low blood potassium). After getting some electrolytes back into my system I was good as new, albeit with some residual soreness most likely from the workout.

Has anyone else experienced this? Everything I've read online says that low blood potassium is uncommon simply from not ingesting enough. Most articles cite common causes of low potassium such as diarrhea or vomiting, but as I have suffered from neither of those I'm wondering what happened.

If anyone has any experience I would like to know if it was just a one time thing, or if I should really be conscious of my potassium intake from here on out.

Thanks,
    JT

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Could it have to do with the post-workout coffee? A quick Google search turned this up: Coffee & Potassium | LIVESTRONG.COM

jtrain_36 is offline Member
    That very well could be the reason. It's not the first time I've had coffee post-workout, nor did I have any more than usual (20 oz.) but anything can happen I suppose. I'll be sure to monitor my coffee intake from now on.

Thanks for finding that information, it was helpful.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Try some coconut water as a post workout drink instead.