Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion and Politics page 3

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Catholic

Republican

I don't believe in religion because it's organized religion (YUCK), but I believe in God and the bible, so most call me 'Christian'.

I believe in our Founding Fathers and the Constitution, so I guess that's a 'Constitutionalist'? Or, more to the point: Republican (yucky word)/ Conservative Libertarian?

I just want to protect our certain unalienable rights!

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

"Serial, I'm really curious about your statement regarding psychological determinism and free will. Care to expound? You can start a new thread so we don't threadjack. "

+1

Crystal W. Guest

Christian/Conservative

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

SassaFrass, most of the "heavy hitter" Founding Fathers were deists and Unitarians. It probably took Enlightenment informed, free thinking men like Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, etc to come up with the most UN-conservative political experiment ever: government by the people. Very, very liberal as Washington has noted.

In the secular world, I, too, revere the Constitution. But just like spiritual revelation, constitutional revelation is ongoing. Hence, the amendments. A living document, but easily changed. As it should be.

Trinkwasser Guest

I'm certain sure there's a lot going on which we simply dont perceive from our limited viewpoint, but IMO the only "religion" that comes close is Zen Buddism because it offers some ways to recognise the limits of what we believe we perceive, and exceed them. Or maybe I did too much acid in the sixties and seventies.

Whoever you vote for, the Government always gets in. Or to paraphrase Winston Churchill, democracy is absolutely the worst way to run a country, except for all the alternatives . . .

. . . IMO, some things need controlling on a world basis, other things are best left to individuals and everything else comes somewhere in between.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I am pagan/animist.

As for politics, it depends. On some things I am very liberal. On others, I am very conservative. Like Trinkwasser above, I think that some things need controlling and watchdogging and other things should be entirely left up to the individual.

Capitalism is great insofar as it goes, but without regulation, those who can, take extreme advantages and manipulate the public so that their own coffers overflow, at the expense of the common good. Take the food and drug industry, for example, not to mention the recent shakeups on Wall Street and the Housing collapse.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

The natural order of unregulated capitalism is monopoly.

Regulating capitalism actually helps the larger society because it (tries to) prevents that monopolistic tendency. Sometimes even capitalists turn to the government to sort things out to give a stable platform. The FCC was created at the request of broadcasters because radio stations were doing what they wanted, and the ones who could afford the most powerful transmitters ruled. The only real losers of regulation is the company that would have held the monopoly.

Quinadal Guest

Born Again Christian Conservative Republican

marika Guest

Nonreligious

Libertarian

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast