Thread: Skill Training page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Skill Training

Primal Fuel
    I'd like to train for bodyweight feats. Specifically: handstand push ups, one arm pull ups, muscle ups, full planche, and plyo pistols. I have an idea of exercises to train for these skills, but my concern is two fold. First, should I train all these skills at once? And two, should I replace my PBF routine with a routine of skill exercises? My current routine consists of two rounds of:

Speed pull ups
    Plyo pushups(second round I switch to single bar dips)
    Planks(or hanging sit ups)
    Assisted pistols

The exercises I'm currently thinking about are:
    Frenchies(do a pull up/chin up, hold at the top, do another, hold at 90 degrees, do another, hold at 135, that's one)
    Waist push ups(hands down by your hips, fingers turned outward)
    Frog stand(working toward 1 min before progressing to tucks)

Any suggestions whether it be for more progressive exercises or in answer to my concerns would be much appreciated.

nojoke is offline Member
    You need to find out what your limitations are, and work on them. By that I mean weaknesses whether its strength, balance, flexibility or just mental, and attack those limitations.

There are progressions for handstand pushups, at some point it becomes mental. Or it could be an actual strength issue in the triceps, and or shoulders.

Im not sure if you have access to certain equipment i.e barbell setup.

The simple implementation of a strength program using squats, dead lifts, military standing overhead press, and bench press is the basis for huge gains in the areas you are talking about. I strength train myself, and use Crossfit to supplement my conditioning. The overall work capacity build by having strength in your toolbox is awesome, combine with that skill and you have a weapon.

I follow this program religously....by suggesting this keep in mind I am not saying what your doing is wrong, this is just my preference and my training is goal driven. With that being said I have no issues doing 90% of the stuff you listed @ 5'10 200lbs bodyweight -- 34 years. I contribute that to my training though, not genetics or skill. It has taken hard work.

A Hardcore Look At Wendler's 5/3/1 Powerlifting Routine | Muscle & Strength

For example, my workout today was deadlift, this is based off a current 475lb 1 rep max. Here is a snapshot from my Iphone...this app is free btw....does all your calculations and programming.

What app is that?

nojoke is offline Member
    Here is another good piece from Jim Wendler. I dont think the app is available anymore. People had a bad deal of using his name and making money off the App's, so I think it was taken down. Here is a good one to use that makes sheets for you.

blackironbeast.com :: 5/3/1 Calculator

More on Wendler....
    T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

If you really want to get into the mythodology behind the program. Get the book or download the PDF.

E-Book here...
    Elite FTS

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The other options are more advanced bodyweight programs, such as Convict Conditioning, or, probably better for your goals, Building the Gymnastic Body. I haven't read BTGB, but the website seems pretty good, with a pretty strong community of people trying to master gymnastics skills, and gain the strength required to do so.

However, I have bookmarked the above links to Wendler's 531 program, as I'm currently on Stronglifts 5x5 and don't know how much longer that will last.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTeddy View Post
    I'd like to train for bodyweight feats. Specifically: handstand push ups, one arm pull ups, muscle ups, full planche, and plyo pistols. I have an idea of exercises to train for these skills, but my concern is two fold. First, should I train all these skills at once? And two, should I replace my PBF routine with a routine of skill exercises? My current routine consists of two rounds of:

Speed pull ups
    Plyo pushups(second round I switch to single bar dips)
    Planks(or hanging sit ups)
    Assisted pistols

The exercises I'm currently thinking about are:
    Frenchies(do a pull up/chin up, hold at the top, do another, hold at 90 degrees, do another, hold at 135, that's one)
    Waist push ups(hands down by your hips, fingers turned outward)
    Frog stand(working toward 1 min before progressing to tucks)

Any suggestions whether it be for more progressive exercises or in answer to my concerns would be much appreciated.
    I honestly think you should just fucking chill for a coupla years and let the rest of us catch up.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    jim over at beastskills has excellent tutorials that could maybe help you out or inspire you for your next challenge. good work

I'll look into those. And hey, I chilled for 17 years. I got fat as a result. I've only been training these last two years.