Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: leaky gut page

jammies is offline Senior Member

leaky gut

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone;

I'll try to keep this brief, but please hang in there - I could use some help!!

I have had poor health most of my adult life. Started with chronic GI issues and fatigue in my late teens, some skin issues. Eventually morphed in to full blown horrible rheumatoid arthritis.

Fast forward through a couple decades of suffering and misery and I found primal eating. I do an auto-immune version of this diet with no nuts, eggs, nightshades, etc. I got amazing results - lost weight, put my RA into near remission, improved energy, corrected Vit D deficiency. But I still never really felt great.

A few months ago I developed horrendous depression and anxiety. I've been bouncing to and from different doctors and have finally found one I like. He believes that all my health issues stem from my gut. I have had a lot of risks for that - lots of antibiotic use growing up (2x this year), heavy pesticide exposure, etc.

Is it possible that I could have "leaky gut" after more than 2 years of eating a paleo diet? I have been doing tons of reading about gut health, and while I find lots of people who are working on treating their guts, I never really read of any successes

Has anyone successfully restored their health (including depression/anxiety) by focusing on their guts?

Thanks so much for any help. I am sick and tired of watching life pass me by. I want to be well.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

The plan he has suggested includes some type of GAPS or SCD diet, VSL#3 probiotics, L-glutamine, and zinc supplementation.

Anyone tried any of these things?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

mh586 is offline Junior Member
    Normally after two years of autoimmune paleo the leaky gut should have been corrected.
    What is your position on alcohol? Allowed on paleo but is a big NO for leaky gut.

The pesticides do alter intestinal permeability of young rats, difficult to believe they are harmless to humans, it is possible they have reversed the healing achieved by the diet. Alternatively pesticides might have caused the depression trough some other mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by mh586 View Post
    Normally after two years of autoimmune paleo the leaky gut should have been corrected.
    What is your position on alcohol? Allowed on paleo but is a big NO for leaky gut.

The pesticides do alter intestinal permeability of young rats, difficult to believe they are harmless to humans, it is possible they have reversed the healing achieved by the diet. Alternatively pesticides might have caused the depression trough some other mechanism.

I do drink alcohol, but very rarely and in pretty limited quantities. I would say I have 1-2 drinks per month. The pesticide exposure would have been when I was a child, but now I eat pretty clean.

What else could be making my gut still permeable? Or could it simply be that I have bad microbiota now?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear this, as it appeared that you had healed a lot of your ailments by eating primal.

It's possible that you have a connective tissue (collagen) disorder that renders your gut more permeable than most. Do you have hypermobile joints? Just asking because this has been a significant factor in gut dysbiosis for me.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    What's your stance on dairy? Grain-fed dairy often contains the same gut irritants as the grains themselves... I'm not sure if this applies to grain-fed beef, too, but I stay away from that stuff for many other reasons, so who knows...

I have a very sensitive gut... and I suffer from moderate-to-serious (depends on the day) depression/anxiety... I haven't had complete success with treating it through diet but since eating primal I am much better off mentally than I was before (super-SAD all my life, veering toward anorexia in my teens, then ate only health bars and sports drinks for awhile, tried a diet my dad did once called Fit for Life, acid-alkaline diet, now primal with a few precepts I carry over from other eating plans I've tried)

I find eating for my gut is therapeutic. Not so much that the food itself is good for my gut (though it is, esp. compared to what I used to eat) but the fact that every bite I put in my mouth, I'm thinking of my gut, it makes me feel like I'm in tune with myself on a level 99% of people around me don't even think about. They eat for taste and sabotage their bodies, I eat for my body and I'm not even sacrificing taste (mmm, eggs! mmmm avocado!)

I mostly just wandered through my own opinions with this post... Hope it helps you some, though!
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 11-13-2012 at 04:02 PM.

DigiSurg is offline Member
    Humans have adapted to many environments on Earth over the last 6 million years, but modern man currently is not concerned about what we can do in adaptation; rather they are testing how long we can live healthily within our own current dietary edicts.......The results and outcomes of modern healthcare offers and deep insight to the many flaws our current dogma holds on nutrition.

1. CPC #5 THE LEAKY GUT/ADRENAL FATIGUE CASE | Living an Optimized Life
    2. THE LEAKY GUT PRESCRIPTION……… | Living an Optimized Life

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Is there any chance you have a histamine intolerance? Mood disorders/anxiety/depression and digestive disorders are two of the symptoms.

This is something that's more newly on my radar because I think it's an issue for my husband and/or me. We both have some weird symptoms that showed up with our switch to paleo eating that we could never really figure out (I think because we started eating a lot more fermented foods/drinks, increased certain fruits/veggies, ate higher levels of cured meats and canned sardines/other fish, and he got really into artisinal beer). Some of these things contain histamines while others trigger the body to release its own histamine.

I personally developed some pretty intense anxiety, depression and erratic mood swings while I was on low carb primal. I actually considered going on antidepressants because I was getting so bad, even though I know how terrible those drugs are. When I switched my diet to be higher carb and lower fat, my depression and anxiety attacks disappeared almost overnight and I went back to being a really happy, positive person.

I've even read that some vitamin deficiencies can cause mood disturbance. Have you gotten any bloodwork done to check your levels?

When I was trying to cure my own depression/anxiety attacks/unstable mood, I tried:

1) sam-e (worked for a month, then stopped)
    2) amino acid supplementation: phenylalanine (precursor of tyrosine) and tyrosine (precursor of dopamine). When I took these two individually, nothing happened, but taking themtogether seemed to help.

Unforturnately, for me, the improvement I got from taking those supplements wasn't long lasting, but maybe they could help while you're figuring out what is going on?
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-13-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    What's your stance on dairy? Grain-fed dairy often contains the same gut irritants as the grains themselves... I'm not sure if this applies to grain-fed beef, too, but I stay away from that stuff for many other reasons, so who knows...

I have a very sensitive gut... and I suffer from moderate-to-serious (depends on the day) depression/anxiety... I haven't had complete success with treating it through diet but since eating primal I am much better off mentally than I was before (super-SAD all my life, veering toward anorexia in my teens, then ate only health bars and sports drinks for awhile, tried a diet my dad did once called Fit for Life, acid-alkaline diet, now primal with a few precepts I carry over from other eating plans I've tried)

I find eating for my gut is therapeutic. Not so much that the food itself is good for my gut (though it is, esp. compared to what I used to eat) but the fact that every bite I put in my mouth, I'm thinking of my gut, it makes me feel like I'm in tune with myself on a level 99% of people around me don't even think about. They eat for taste and sabotage their bodies, I eat for my body and I'm not even sacrificing taste (mmm, eggs! mmmm avocado!)

I mostly just wandered through my own opinions with this post... Hope it helps you some, though!
    I do eat dairy, but not very much. Grass-fed butter, occasional yogurt, some sheep milk cheese, but not a staple at all. I have done long stretches of no dairy though.

Right now I am having a very hard time eating anything at all, so I have been using more dairy just to get myself to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Is there any chance you have a histamine intolerance? Mood disorders/anxiety/depression and digestive disorders are two of the symptoms.

This is something that's more newly on my radar because I think it's an issue for my husband and/or me. We both have some weird symptoms that showed up with our switch to paleo eating that we could never really figure out (I think because we started eating a lot more fermented foods/drinks, increased certain fruits/veggies, ate higher levels of cured meats and canned sardines/other fish, and he got really into artisinal beer). Some of these things contain histamines while others trigger the body to release its own histamine.

I personally developed some pretty intense anxiety, depression and erratic mood swings while I was on low carb primal. I actually considered going on antidepressants because I was getting so bad, even though I know how terrible those drugs are. When I switched my diet to be higher carb and lower fat, my depression and anxiety attacks disappeared almost overnight and I went back to being a really happy, positive person.

I've even read that some vitamin deficiencies can cause mood disturbance. Have you gotten any bloodwork done to check your levels?

When I was trying to cure my own depression/anxiety attacks/unstable mood, I tried:

1) sam-e (worked for a month, then stopped)
    2) amino acid supplementation: phenylalanine (precursor of tyrosine) and tyrosine (precursor of dopamine). When I took these two individually, nothing happened, but taking themtogether seemed to help.

Unforturnately, for me, the improvement I got from taking those supplements wasn't long lasting, but maybe they could help while you're figuring out what is going on?
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all the natural anti-depressants. I am currently taking Sam-e, GLA, and a very low dose of a prescription anti-depressant. I wanted badly to avoid it, but I couldn't take it any more and started a couple of weeks ago.

I have had some labs done - my B12 and D3 were okay (D3 was a little low). I have read up a little on histamine intolerance - it doesn't seem to be it - but maybe I should read more closely.

I have never been really low carb primal, but once this depression hit I started really upping the carbs just in case. It didn't really seem to fix things for me.

It is so frustrating! How many issues can one person have to deal with. I finally find the road to health only to have it yanked away when I get close.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast