Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: leaky gut page 3

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Do you happen to have your bloodwork numbers? B12 lab flags are low in the US compared to other countries, you may be deficient even though your labs were tagged as normal.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Have you considered taking the antibiotics for SIBO? (I'm asking because my husband is going to try it, and I'm wondering if you know anything about them.) From what I was reading, they only have localized action in the small intestine, so they don't cause those negative systemic problems most antibiotics cause, plus they seem to be significantly more effective than the dietary route, which can take up to two years and doesn't even work for everyone!

After reading something you mentioned a while ago on another thread about SIBO, I started researching it, and I'm pretty sure that's what my husband has. We will be getting the antibiotics in a few weeks, I'm really excited about it (I can't even believe that I'm getting excited about antibiotics, what a dork!) Anyhow, I'm sure you're not super into the idea of antibiotics since you're dealing with yeast infections, but these hopefully won't totally trash all the good flora.
    I've had a SIBO (blind loop syndrome). I was sick for several months and saw 4 doctors (GP, surgeon, and two different gastroenterologists) before finally getting a diagnosis. I had to take metronidazole to knock it out and felt better within days--it was wonderful. Now if I start to feel symptoms creep back up (this usually follows a period of bad eating--too many sugars/carbs, such as the holidays) treating myself with a combo of extra probiotics and eating very low carb is usually enough to stop flares in their tracks. I'm physically prone to SIBO though, as I have a blind loop of intestine from a gastric bypass.
    Last edited by meeshar; 11-14-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: goofed quote

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I know my mood is always better when I focus on nutrient-dense food. Liver and heart, oysters, seaweed, wild greens, and similar. Yeah, I do okay on steak and eggs, but only for so long. Liver is the best mood lifter I know. Eat a pound, raw if you can, and just try pretending you're depressed. I can't. I just feel like I'm flying for three days.
    I agree with this advice in general and have given it many times! I eat bone broth, bone marrow, liver, oysters and brazil nuts regularly. At least I was, right up until this hit. I had eaten liver, bone marrow, and oysters literally within days of this depression striking.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Do you happen to have your bloodwork numbers? B12 lab flags are low in the US compared to other countries, you may be deficient even though your labs were tagged as normal.
    Yes - my B12 was 515 (which is fine, but I take a supplement so it's not as high as I would have thought) and my D3 was 31. The D3 is way too low for me - I usually stay in the 60-75 range. However, I had a D3 level of 2 and a B12 of around 120 when I first found the deficiency and didn't have depression or anxiety like this. So I'm hesitant to blame either one of those.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Man, don't I know it! It feels like every time I fix one thing, two other things go wrong to take its place! When you got your bloodwork done, did you check for other vitamin and mineral deficiencies besides B12 and D? Seems like there are a whole host of things that could potentially be causing your symptoms. I know it probably isn't, but it's always good to start ruling out the easiest to fix stuff.

This link isn't anything exciting (plus, you're in the medical field, right? So I'm sure you know all this already) but it's just a good reminder of some other deficiencies that could be contributing:

Vitamin C and Mineral Deficiencies and Depression

You mentioned this problem started a few months ago...any chance it began around Septemberish and it could be some kind of seasonal depression? I have a tendency to get this, and last week as my seasonal panic attacks started to kick in (OMG! it's dark already! Where did the day go? Where did my life go? AAAAAGH!) I replaced all my light bulbs with natural daylight ones (I found a 4 pack for around $2 that are Philips brand) and have been keeping them ALL on, and I haven't had a single freakout.
    Thanks for the info. I supplement with zinc and magnesium. But I do wonder about calcium some times. I don't eat much dairy. Are bone stocks enough of a calcium source?

The depression came in August. I hadn't really noticed, but I had been getting increasingly anxious. Not about anything, just physically anxious. Then I had a panic attack and after it cleared I was left with a severe, horrible depression. So severe that it was actually physically painful almost every moment of the day. I had no idea depression could feel that way. I had horrible anxiety in the morning (high cortisol and I would guess tons of adrenalin waking me at about 4:30). It was brutal.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I know it's my own little view on things and probably doesn't apply to you, but have you had any head injuries on the past year or so?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I know it's my own little view on things and probably doesn't apply to you, but have you had any head injuries on the past year or so?
    I have not had any head injuries this year, although I did have a serious head injury in my teens.

The MD I am seeing now who has functional medicine training asked a lot about head injuries too. He described me as "the perfect storm" for poor health based on my childhood

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Have you seen a naturopath? A really good naturopath can make a world of difference in gut related issues.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I have not had any head injuries this year, although I did have a serious head injury in my teens.

The MD I am seeing now who has functional medicine training asked a lot about head injuries too. He described me as "the perfect storm" for poor health based on my childhood
    I had a bunch of pretty serious concussions (5) as a kid, but I was very happy and outgoing until I had 2 in one year very recently. Then I got moody, depressed and very irritable. But it was only a short-term issue, so I'm guessing that's not what's happening in your case.

Oh well, it was a shot.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Have you seen a naturopath? A really good naturopath can make a world of difference in gut related issues.
    I am seeing a functional medicine doctor, not a naturopath. Have you had success is healing your gut?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123