Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: leaky gut page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Sorry to hear this, as it appeared that you had healed a lot of your ailments by eating primal.

It's possible that you have a connective tissue (collagen) disorder that renders your gut more permeable than most. Do you have hypermobile joints? Just asking because this has been a significant factor in gut dysbiosis for me.
    I don't think I have a collagen disorder, but I'm not 100% sure. Have you been able to fix your gut issues? What things have helped you?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'm kind of in a similar boat. I felt like my health was overall good this year, but something got off track in my gut and my anxiety and depression came back in full force. I've also been constipated for a while. I think I've always had gut issues. My Vitamin D levels have always been bad and only improved when I started supplementing last year (after starting to eat primal). Leaky gut explains it all, but I believe there is probably a reason for the leaky gut, and that it's not just my intestines generally sucking.

I realized that the most relief I had was while taking various supplements to handle a candida overgrowth. This leads me to thinking that I could have SIBO. I'm getting back on track with new supplements today (as soon as my supplements arrive, oil of oregano and Pau D'Arco) and really hoping this helps with all of my symptoms (constipation, sugar sensitivity, anxiety, depression, yeast infections) if I stick with it and stay strict paleo for the next few months.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I realized that the most relief I had was while taking various supplements to handle a candida overgrowth. This leads me to thinking that I could have SIBO. I'm getting back on track with new supplements today (as soon as my supplements arrive, oil of oregano and Pau D'Arco) and really hoping this helps with all of my symptoms (constipation, sugar sensitivity, anxiety, depression, yeast infections) if I stick with it and stay strict paleo for the next few months.
    Have you considered taking the antibiotics for SIBO? (I'm asking because my husband is going to try it, and I'm wondering if you know anything about them.) From what I was reading, they only have localized action in the small intestine, so they don't cause those negative systemic problems most antibiotics cause, plus they seem to be significantly more effective than the dietary route, which can take up to two years and doesn't even work for everyone!

After reading something you mentioned a while ago on another thread about SIBO, I started researching it, and I'm pretty sure that's what my husband has. We will be getting the antibiotics in a few weeks, I'm really excited about it (I can't even believe that I'm getting excited about antibiotics, what a dork!) Anyhow, I'm sure you're not super into the idea of antibiotics since you're dealing with yeast infections, but these hopefully won't totally trash all the good flora.

I'm pretty sure I found this link from one of Chris Kresser's articles:

Antibiotics - SIBO- Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all the natural anti-depressants. I am currently taking Sam-e, GLA, and a very low dose of a prescription anti-depressant. I wanted badly to avoid it, but I couldn't take it any more and started a couple of weeks ago.

I have had some labs done - my B12 and D3 were okay (D3 was a little low). I have read up a little on histamine intolerance - it doesn't seem to be it - but maybe I should read more closely.

I have never been really low carb primal, but once this depression hit I started really upping the carbs just in case. It didn't really seem to fix things for me.

It is so frustrating! How many issues can one person have to deal with. I finally find the road to health only to have it yanked away when I get close.
    Man, don't I know it! It feels like every time I fix one thing, two other things go wrong to take its place! When you got your bloodwork done, did you check for other vitamin and mineral deficiencies besides B12 and D? Seems like there are a whole host of things that could potentially be causing your symptoms. I know it probably isn't, but it's always good to start ruling out the easiest to fix stuff.

This link isn't anything exciting (plus, you're in the medical field, right? So I'm sure you know all this already) but it's just a good reminder of some other deficiencies that could be contributing:

Vitamin C and Mineral Deficiencies and Depression

You mentioned this problem started a few months ago...any chance it began around Septemberish and it could be some kind of seasonal depression? I have a tendency to get this, and last week as my seasonal panic attacks started to kick in (OMG! it's dark already! Where did the day go? Where did my life go? AAAAAGH!) I replaced all my light bulbs with natural daylight ones (I found a 4 pack for around $2 that are Philips brand) and have been keeping them ALL on, and I haven't had a single freakout.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-14-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I know my mood is always better when I focus on nutrient-dense food. Liver and heart, oysters, seaweed, wild greens, and similar. Yeah, I do okay on steak and eggs, but only for so long. Liver is the best mood lifter I know. Eat a pound, raw if you can, and just try pretending you're depressed. I can't. I just feel like I'm flying for three days.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Liver is the best mood lifter I know. Eat a pound, raw if you can, and just try pretending you're depressed.
    Wow, a pound of raw liver! Do you cut it into pieces, or just sink your teeth into the whole thing and let the blood drip down your chin?

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    BestBetter: if my symptoms improve with the "herbal antibiotics" (found on that site you linked to, also those are recommended for candida overgrowths as well, which I think is really the same idea), I'm just assuming it was SIBO. Improvement in constipation will be my real indicator, I think. From what I've read, there aren't a lot of accurate tests to diagnose SIBO. I haven't been on any antibiotics since August, for a yeast infection (diflucan), which gave me diarrhea and then I went right back to being constipated. That was just two doses though, so it would not have been enough.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Gaps?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Wow, a pound of raw liver! Do you cut it into pieces, or just sink your teeth into the whole thing and let the blood drip down your chin?
    Cut it into pieces. And I usually cook it rare, but have eaten it totally raw and found the results even more cheerful.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I don't think I have a collagen disorder, but I'm not 100% sure. Have you been able to fix your gut issues? What things have helped you?
    There is a very strong association between anxiety disorder and gut dysbiosis, and hypermobile joints.

Cutting out gluten and wholegrains, and legumes, and cutting back significantly on cow's dairy and omega 6 have helped me. Also eliminating sources of stress in my life as far as possible, and allowing myself to become more selfish have helped.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Comma View Post
    Gaps?
    I am considering doing the GAPS diet. I am waiting for the book to come from the library. But I don't see much out there about people who are actually helped by GAPS. Have you tried it?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast