Thread: Primal for Mental Health? Please? page

NaShea is offline Junior Member

Primal for Mental Health? Please?

Shop Now
    I've bounced on and off the Paleo diet for a couple of years. I always feel better physically when I'm eating Paleo, and I lose weight and look better, but I have a deep love of cheese and bread I need to get over. Since I'm overall healthy by overweight American standards, I never really worried too much about it.

The past six months have been a wild ride, however. I'm a stay at home mom now, which I'm loving, but the physical activity meter is riding pretty low these days and my weight is at an all-time high. And it doesn't help that I'm a wicked awesome baker.

Since I left my job, I've had some difficulties though, which my brand new therapist tells me normal in post traumatic stress cases. We learn to manage the bad thoughts by burying them under a thick layer of work and busy, write off the depressed as tired from all the previous work and busy, and the nightmares... well, those are only a problem at night. But when you take away the work and busy, there's nothing to hide all those things you've refused to deal with, and up they come in waves and droves.

I'll do anything to feel better, and I'm hoping that the Primal lifestyle might help me mentally as much as it helps me physically. If nothing else, I've been mandated by my therapist to get some exercise every day.

So we start with dinner tonight. I had chocolate chip cookies for breakfast and biscuits and gravy for lunch - depression food. But I pulled out a braised beef roast for dinner, and I'm about to start the mashed potatoes and turnips (no milk, no sharp cheddar as Rachel Ray initially indicated it should be cooked with) and a butter lettuce salad with oil and vinegar.

{sigh} Only one way to go from here. May as well get walking.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forums. Cheeses is awesome.

It seems like Bacon and Eggs are the go-to breakfast for most people on here.

I hope this works out for you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! And super double yes to the exercise - its a one way train to happy land!
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    first, it's okay. i still love bread and cheese, i just have to stay away from bread

as you're an awesome baker, you can undoubtedly, and easily, tweak recipes on down the line and they'll be just as delicious and homey without the flour

i have depression and ptsd issues myself, and it's true that busy work helps ignore them, but stick with the therapist. it's healthier, if more unpleasant

and my depression is much better on primal give yourself some time & get some fresh air and sunshine with baby, that helps a great deal. if it's too cold to take walks outside, there are lots of decent workouts on youtube
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

I love cheese, but I always feel better if I don't eat it. My system just isn't happy about it.

Thank you.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    And again I say, "Eat more liver." Hard to be sad after a pound of liver. Try it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html