Thread: Post-nasal drip page

zwschlei is offline Member

Post-nasal drip

Primal Fuel
    I am trying to get rid of my Post-nasal drip. I have been on paleo for 5 months, and typically don't have phlegm. Any ideas to get rid of it without taking allergy medications??

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Post-nasal drip is either your sinuses malfunctioning or a reaction to something. You'll need to find out the cause before you can treat it effectively.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing any dairy?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Are you doing any dairy?
    I second this. Dairy will clog your sinuses in a heartbeat.

zwschlei is offline Member
    Nope no dairy

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Well that's good, although that's the easy solution off the table.. My next step would be, eat lots of vitamin C. Pineapple might help you out. If you drink coffee, try doing without it for a couple days and drink green tea w/lemon instead. It could just be the fact that it's getting colder, in which case there's not much to do but learn to live with it (at least for me, since I don't trust medications...designed to sell product, not heal you...plants on the other hand...)

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Investigate histamine intolerance. That worked for me. There is no allergy.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

aventurine is offline Junior Member
    If not doing dairy, any other potentially inflammatory foods? If so, try cutting them out and see what happens.

For me, much of my sinus issue is related to weather changes and barometric pressure.

I find saline nasal irrigation to be helpful (pulsatile, especially, but any sort is better than nothing for me), to varying degrees.

If you do need to resort to meds, there are steroid-free antihistamine nasal sprays that dry up post-nasal drip but don't have the same systemic effects as oral antihistamines. If nothing else is helping, I find these sometimes prevent a progression of illness.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aventurine View Post
    If not doing dairy, any other potentially inflammatory foods? If so, try cutting them out and see what happens.

For me, much of my sinus issue is related to weather changes and barometric pressure.

I find saline nasal irrigation to be helpful (pulsatile, especially, but any sort is better than nothing for me), to varying degrees.

If you do need to resort to meds, there are steroid-free antihistamine nasal sprays that dry up post-nasal drip but don't have the same systemic effects as oral antihistamines. If nothing else is helping, I find these sometimes prevent a progression of illness.
    + 1 in my experience on your first two points. Sudden changes in temperature when switching between indoors/outdoors induce chronic catarrh for me. I also have found that cutting down on inflammatory foods in general has eased my symptoms significantly.

I find quercetin and caffeine powerful natural antihistamines. I'm interested in the steroid-free antihistamine nasal sprays that you mention - details would be much appreciated.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.