Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's talk about Deer Season! Got a venison recipe? page 2

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i usually take the heart and liver out, the tenderloins and backstraps out whole, then take round roasts and steaks from the hindquarters. i'll cook down the rib bones to make stock, and all the rest of the meat i cube. i keep some of it cubed to make stews or texas-style chili (no beans) and i grind the rest to make sausage. i already have one in the freezer from early bow season, and i've actually let a bunch of small bucks and doe go during the past few weeks. the rut is going pretty hard in nj, so i'm waiting for a decent buck to come my way. actually heading out this afternoon for a short hunt. hoping to have some fresh venison to put on the table for thanksgiving

ajb0203 is offline Junior Member
    My son got an early season buck that we've been eating, but I was surprised when I opened the freezer at how low our supply is getting already. Two weeks till regular season here, so hopefully they get 3 more. My fave "recipe" is just pan frying the stew meat with some butter and garlic. I made a roast over the weekend, but my recipe was pretty bare bones and not very flavorful. I'll have to try the one posted above next time. DH also grills the steaks, which is always a big hit.

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Had a deer stew this weekend.
    Really easy. Just brown 500gram deer meat, add 400 mililiter bone broth, 100 milliliter red wine, some bay leaves, rosemary, cloves and let it simmer for approx. 75 minutes on a low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and enjoy

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    We are totally out of venison and hubby tagged 3 last year. I guess we need 4! He didnt get any in archery season...fingers crossed come MOnday! Also--the deer ribs are EXCELLENT. No need to do anything except crock pot them with some BBQ seasonings. I find them far tastier than pork or beef!

As for deer Tallow---we rendered some down last year and have two quart-sized mason jars filled with it. We use it to waterproof boots!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Hubby got 3 white tail doe this year. We had about half ground into hamburger and the other half made into pepperoni, italian sausage and bratwurst. We find the deer roasts and steaks/chops too small to bother with, esp since we get mostly steaks and roasts from our sides and quarters of beef and last years elk.

I use deer, elk and bear hamburger in place of (or mixed with) ground beef all the time. Bear is my favorite.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    my deer are never fat enough to get that much tallow. it is a treat for me. venison steak medium rare cooked its own tallow. slightly OT but what sort of bow do you all use to hunt? i have seriously considered getting a bow to hunt with. especially as my dog is not so hot on guns. or the big loud ones you usually need to deer hunt with. my main concern is it wont kill the animal outright. i have the technology to track it. aka the dog. but i always feel better if it just dies.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Hubby has an older compound Pearson bow. He has considered a crossbow for our kids---and they have a ton more power (to ensure a kill)
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    my deer are never fat enough to get that much tallow. it is a treat for me. venison steak medium rare cooked its own tallow. slightly OT but what sort of bow do you all use to hunt? i have seriously considered getting a bow to hunt with. especially as my dog is not so hot on guns. or the big loud ones you usually need to deer hunt with. my main concern is it wont kill the animal outright. i have the technology to track it. aka the dog. but i always feel better if it just dies.
    hunting with dogs and/or using them to track deer may or may not be legal, depending on the state you live in. i would definitely look in to that

i hunt with a bow and a shotgun in nj, and a rifle in pennsylvania. my bow is a PSE, but i also have a Bear longbow that i use sometimes. i use a mossberg shotgun with slugs during shotgun season. and i have a few rifles that i typically take in PA, with my favorite calibers being 35 remington or 30-06.

hunting with a bow, just like hunting with any other firearm, takes serious practice and patience. you need to be able to accurately judge yardage distances, and hit your mark time after time. no, the animal doesn't die instantly when shot with an arrow, but with a properly placed shot, it will go down quickly and expire quite rapidly. like i said, the key is to know your limitations and only take quality shots. if thinking about getting in to bow hunting, i'd find a good local pro shop, head over there and shoot several different bows to see which one feels the best. then have it properly set up and tuned. then practice every day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12