Thread: Cavemandoctor has a nice write up on HG diets page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Cavemandoctor has a nice write up on HG diets

Shop Now
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I'm a big fan of the Caveman Doctor. I hope he lands a job that he's fulfilled in.

I'm trying to get a handle on this. AFAICT, the table comes from here:

A theory of human life history evolution: Diet, intelligence, and longevity - Kaplan - 2000 - Evolutionary Anthropology: Issues, News, and Reviews - Wiley Online Library

He says -- and highlights in bold:

only the !Kung and Gwi did not get the majority of their calories from animal sources.
    These are both Bushmen tribes. Both have been pushed into marginal areas -- something we always have to bear in mind when talking of modern hunter-gatherers. They eat a lot of plants. Yeah, they would. Where they live there isn't much water. The plants concentrate the water: they eat the plants to get the water. (Sorry, vegetarians: that's just how it is, human needs being what they are.) If they could, they wouldn't live away from water. They don't get to choose.

The upshot is that people don't seem to prefer eating -- what was it Mr. Pollan? -- "mostly plants" if they can choose not to.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have to take those numbers with a grain of salt. The variation in total energy intake is enormous and needs explanation
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Have to take those numbers with a grain of salt. The variation in total energy intake is enormous and needs explanation
    I take all studies with a grain of salt. While the quantities may be a bit off, the food types are likely accurate, and that seems to be the main discussion point.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Full text of the study can be found here for free: http://www.unm.edu/~hkaplan/KaplanHi...HEvolution.pdf

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Interesting site. Haven't read his stuff before. Good link.