Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1917 Diabetics Cookbook page

3fiddyz is offline Junior Member

1917 Diabetics Cookbook

Primal Fuel
    Found this very interesting book written in 1917: "Diabetic Cookery; Recipes and Menus" by Rebecca W Oppenheimer, a very primal like diet from 90 years ago

Have a read here: http://www.archive.org/stream/diabet...ge/n7/mode/2up

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah my mother says I eat like a diabetic. Actually I eat like a diabetic from 100 years ago. Diabetics these days are encouraged to have lots of high-fiber cereal, mounds of fruit and vegetables and "healthy fats" like canola oil and peanuts. Because what good is stable blood sugar when you have heart disease from all of that nasty meat and butter?

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Wow that is really cool!
    *Looks around*
    What have we done?

Sort of an interesting tidbit of the good old days before the government got involved in diet, like William Banting's letter on Corpulence.
    Last edited by ZoŽ; 04-11-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Zoe whats the letter on corpulence?
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Catalina is offline Member
    That is so cool!! Almond flour, butter and eggs--which corporation decided to push those out of the healthy eating menu??

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    William Banting's Letter on Corpulence, from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting

"In 1863, Banting wrote a booklet called Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public which contained the particular plan for the diet he followed. It was written in the form of an open letter in the form of a personal testimonial. Banting accounted all of his unsuccessful fasts, diets, spa and exercise regimes in his past, then described the dietary change which finally had worked for him, following the advice of a physician. His own diet was four meals per day, consisting of meat, greens, fruits, and dry wine. The emphasis was on avoiding sugar, saccharine matter, starch, beer, milk and butter."

Sadly, butter was thought to be a starch of some sort!

maranne is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this!
    A brilliant look back in history to see how things were sometimes better!
    M x

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    That was a point I particularly enjoyed in GCBC: that just 70 or 80 years ago, starches and sugars had been considered a uniquely fattening category of food for quite some time. Low-carb is by far the conservative option when it comes to diet.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    My Granny was a Type 2 diabetic and her Doctor always told her to eat a low carb diet. This was in the 60's and 70's I think.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Kattanga is offline Junior Member
    I remember reading a book published in in the 1900's which was pretty much a Paleo / traditional diet, high fat, carbs just from veggies and limited amount of fruits. It's available on-line but I can't find the link at the moment. It kind of points to the fact Paleo/ low carb high fat isn't a new concept at all but just one that has been rediscovered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast