Thread: Steak Question page

FDgreen is offline Member

Steak Question

I went to an asian grocery store today, and realized they have TONS of interesting cuts of meat (alas not organic, but the price is right).

Anyway, all of their beef (even ground) is very dark red and bloody. It isn't dripping, just very dark red and bloody looking.

Are there ways of processing meat (or not processing) that make beef look this way? (Is this a foreign cultural artifact in the way asians/hispanics slaughter beef?)

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    If it is a BRIGHT red, like crayon color, then they are prolly pumping it with a carbon dioxide sodium solution. If it is a deep dark purple then it may be grass fed if your lucky. When I ordered grassfed one time when I had $$ for it, it was very dark

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The fresher the meat is, the redder it is because of less iron oxidation. It could also be something to do with different slaughter practices, since not every culture bleeds their meat completely at slaughter, but I surely couldn't tell you.

Also, it's carbon monoxide which some producers use to conceal the freshness of meat. If carbon dioxide could bind to the binding pocket of hemoglobin, we'd be in real trouble.
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 04-11-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
    Also, it's carbon monoxide which some producers use to conceal the freshness of meat. If carbon dioxide could bind to the binding pocket of hemoglobin, we'd be in real trouble.
    It has an allosteric binding site, but I'm guessing that the abillity of the carbon monoxide to bind in the oxygen binding pocket is what gives the meat the freshly-oxygenated red look.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    It is. I thought about going into the allosteric binding pocket, but I got lazy. I should have known someone would call me on my sloppiness.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

FDgreen is offline Member
    I'll try to upload a pic later this week. It definately looks different than any other steak I've seen at grocery stores (Trader Joes, Giant, Safeway, etc.)

Sterling is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fresher meat is usually darker.