Thread: Need some Winter Motivation page

MeatMaker is offline Junior Member

Need some Winter Motivation

Shop Now
    Howdy all, hope you're all rocking out. I got serious about the primal lifestyle in January 2012. It's been a great year...lost 36 pounds, gained friends, mended relationships, got stronger and happier. Having said all that, I am a little bummed of late. One of my goals was a sixpack (abs) for my 38th Bday. I am staring that date in the face and I don't think I can shed that last LITTLE bit of belly fat in time. Sooo close. Gone from 6'1" 208lbs, to 172 and there is still a tiny bit of fat. Overall, though, body composition has dramatically improved. I know, be happy with what I have achieved, but still...

I have been cranking pushups, pullups, planks, bodyweight squats and trailrunning and surfing (does paddling out count as sprints? ) I have avoided track sprints due to some ankle injuries in the past...yeah, yeah excuses

But as the Winter approaches, I find myself in need of larger motivation. I have always been prone to some Seasonal Affective Disorder and find myself getting depressed in the long cold gray months. I have started a high-quality vitamin D supplement and am trying to stay active, but it is hard with sleet, slush and snow. I run a farm so spend hundreds of hours outdoors in the spring summer and fall, in the winter, this Grok just wants to hibernate. I don't want to lose the gains I've made, but, even on this beautiful late fall day, I can feel the weight of Winter starting to bear down on me... Last Winter was great because weight was literally falling off. Without the dramatic improvements to look forward too, I need to find new inspiration. Help me MDA, you're my only hope!
    Last edited by MeatMaker; 11-12-2012 at 05:50 AM.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I recommend moving south for the winter. I live in Houston and nobody has the Season Affective Disorder you describe.

MeatMaker is offline Junior Member
    How're those summers treating you? No need for a sauna, eh?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    i tend to eat very seasonally, so i embrace the change in produce, etc. i also change up my workouts (more heavy lifting and less outdoor cardio), and i look forward to hunting season and skiing, which are 2 of my favorite activities. find things that you can enjoy doing all winter, rather than just wanting to spend your free time hibernating.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Do you have one of those sunlight lamps? Are you using it? Along with the actual vit D, I think the mental boost of light versus gloom, is important.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatMaker View Post
    But as the Winter approaches, I find myself in need of larger motivation. I have always been prone to some Seasonal Affective Disorder and find myself getting depressed in the long cold gray months. I have started a high-quality vitamin D supplement and am trying to stay active, but it is hard with sleet, slush and snow. I run a farm so spend hundreds of hours outdoors in the spring summer and fall, in the winter, this Grok just wants to hibernate. I don't want to lose the gains I've made, but, even on this beautiful late fall day, I can feel the weight of Winter starting to bear down on me... Last Winter was great because weight was literally falling off. Without the dramatic improvements to look forward too, I need to find new inspiration. Help me MDA, you're my only hope!
    I had to find a way to make friends with winter also. I live way up in northern Alaska where sunlight is all but gone for 3 months and temps hit -60.

Mark Sisson has written a lot on Winter Play, but for me, it means driving with heat barely on, only wearing a light jacket for quick outdoor trips, and getting outdoors every day when the sun is up.

I take 10,000IU Vit D3 as my only supplement and eat lots of seafood through the winter. I also try to avoid seasonal summer fruits and only eat things that would be available in winter--meat, nuts, potatoes, rice, etc... I try real hard not to eat sugary fruits, cheese and cut back on eggs and greens.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    My main way to love winter is find an activity that NEEDS the cold/snow. Then you want it! I like to go snowshoeing (Yay snow!) and ice climbing (yeah coldness!). I also work outside a couple days a week so at least that forces me to be out some every week regardless.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Find a mate and have lots of sex.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Winning!

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Find a mate and have lots of sex.
    Health is Wealth!