Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet works or it doesn't work, what does that mean?

Hybrid View

Diet works or it doesn't work, what does that mean?

How is one determining whether a diet works or it doesn't work? I hear many times people say "I tired this diet and it didn't work for me". How does one determine that? Don't you have to wait 30 years or so to see if you haven't developed some disease that you would normally expect to develop? There is no miracle after a month or a year. So why so many claim this or that diet is not working for them after trying to eat different for 2 months or half a year or two? What's the timeframe criteria?

People want Instant gratification! I have 2 friend who decided to try Primal. Both, after only 2 or 3 days, said " Oh, your diet (My diet!) is making me feel sick, it's obviously not for me".
    They never even got past the "Carb flu", which I had warned them about.
    The people who stick with this are in it for the health benefits and are in for the long haul. Yes, we may tweak things here and there from time to time, but we're "core" Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Crofter View Post
    The people who stick with this are in it for the health benefits and are in for the long haul. Yes, we may tweak things here and there from time to time, but we're "core" Primal.
    How do you figure that in a long haul this is the proper diet for health benefits? What are the measures and what is the evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    How do you figure that in a long haul this is the proper diet for health benefits? What are the measures and what is the evidence?
    Does anyone else smell a troll?

I'll give you the short version:

long Haul: The current conventional American diet came into being about 40 years ago. Dwarf hybrid wheat, HFCS in everything, corn in the CAFO's, government subsidized soybean everything. We've already had the long haul.
    measures: BMI, incidence of diabetes, cancer rates, rates of GERD, rates of heart disease. Cholesterol is still too complex to be a good marker.
    evidence: All the markers are headed into the bad direction over the long haul that we've already had.

If you want more details, read the book, or more on this website. It's been laid out multiple times.

So, does that mean that one has to feel bad to start with in order to decide whether the diet is good or bad for them?
    Evidently you've never broken a bad habit.

I am not sure what government you have in mind. Are you assuming that all governmets have identical guidelines? Isn't a diet really more cultural than governmental? I am not defending any government here, I never really gave it a though what a given government recommends. Isn't the cultural consumption of food predating governments anyway? If one is not following some governmental guidelines what criteria of improving ones health can one employ to be sure that a certain diet is beneficial to ones health in a long haul?
    You're using complex language in order to trap us into saying something mildly contradictory so that you can blast the diet and its followers as fools. I won't take the bait. Look, it's obvious that decades of evidence will you not convince onto this diet. Similarly, all your honey-tongued questions and logic are not going to convince me off of this diet.
    5'0" female, 45 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained back to 115(!) on SAD chocolate, potato chips, and stress. Currently 111.

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Heh. I could see the troll just from the username, without reading any of the post.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

You're using complex language in order to trap us into saying something mildly contradictory so that you can blast the diet and its followers as fools. I won't take the bait. Look, it's obvious that decades of evidence will you not convince onto this diet. Similarly, all your honey-tongued questions and logic are not going to convince me off of this diet.
    English is not my first language so thanks for your compliment.
    I am not sure how your eating habits affect me so it's rather strange that you arrived at the conclusion that I would like to get you off this diet.
    Last edited by KathyH; 11-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Check out her other posts and you will see she is obviously a troll and not nearly as clever as she thinks she is.

When people say a diet does not work for them they often mean they didn't loose enough weight fast enough and were hungry all the time.

As for what diet is optimal that is more difficult to say. If you look around the Government's recommended diet where 1000 Cal comes from grains clearly is not working. By replacing a grain portion with veg or some extra protein means I replace empty calories with nutrient rich food....makes sense to me.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    When people say a diet does not work for them they often mean they didn't loose enough weight fast enough and were hungry all the time.

As for what diet is optimal that is more difficult to say. If you look around the Government's recommended diet where 1000 Cal comes from grains clearly is not working. By replacing a grain portion with veg or some extra protein means I replace empty calories with nutrient rich food....makes sense to me.
    I am not sure what government you have in mind. Are you assuming that all governmets have identical guidelines? Isn't a diet really more cultural than governmental? I am not defending any government here, I never really gave it a though what a given government recommends. Isn't the cultural consumption of food predating governments anyway? If one is not following some governmental guidelines what criteria of improving ones health can one employ to be sure that a certain diet is beneficial to ones health in a long haul?
    Last edited by KathyH; 11-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Western governments US, UK, France, Canada is not has high on grains etc but all recommend in the area of 8-12 portions of grains a day.
    http://turamavision.com/bodymind/201...ality-problem/

Answered the second part eat nutritious food you can' really do much more can you. Most people feel short term improvements, then you just start to follow the long term yourself.

I thought I felt great before but now....wow!
    Last edited by Dirlot; 11-12-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!