Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Sauna page

source99 is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sauna doesn't seem very primal to me. Curious what other people think about it?

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

not very primal?

well the earliest evidences of sauna-type healing rituals that i know of come from about 40-50 000 y ago from the region which is now Ukraine... May be that i dont know all the research but thats what i remember reading.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

maranne is offline Senior Member

Why is it important if it is Primal or not? I certainly adds something to your life and won't do any harm unless you overdo it.

I find it a very pleasurable experience, cleansing the body and mind and hence can only be described as a Primal activity in terms of destressing your body.

I cannot wait to get back to Austria, to go to the proper Saunas, be naked and all natural instead of wearing a bikini to do it!

M

Trinkwasser Guest

May not be truly Primal but feels like it ought to be! That's if you've had a genuine Scandinavian sauna where you cook yourself to a turn then jump into a stream of melted ice water.

Katt is offline Senior Member

It is quite Primal. The Native Americans have been using sweats in healing rituals for many thousands of years.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

trinkwasser- we mostly just plunge into the snow after a session

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

Mick Guest

A lot of information on sweat lodges, saunas, etc., and their history here:

http://cyberbohemia.com/Pages/saunahealth.htm

There's even information on how to build your own "Native American style" one. That man - Mikkel Aaland - is a pro photographer and has written books for Adobe, too. He's got some good pictures, like one of a Navajo rolling in sandy snow.

AFAICT, modern Europe was unusual in not having something of the sort. Apart from its fringes that is - further off the beaten track in Finland and Russia they never went out.

Mikkel Aaland speculates that this was because of Christianity. (Interestingly, Finland was only converted relatively late, and there are still traces of paganism in the Finnish national epic, the Kalevala - Vainamoinen was probably a god once.)

There may be something in this: some of the early Christians were highly austere and ascetic and would undoubtedly have regarded a sweat bath - or even washing at all - as "luxurious". There may be nothing in the New Testament that demands such asceticism, but that was how people thought.

Trinkwasser Guest

"trinkwasser- we mostly just plunge into the snow after a session "

This was midsummer, the snow had mostly melted and was in the river. I guess the other 50 weeks of the year you&#39;d be right <grins>

Fascinating history here. The Romans had baths, central heating etc. long ago. Didn&#39;t realise the Christians put an end to it.

umuhk Guest

Hot-springs bathing seems pretty primal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Macaque

Actually, the reason Christianity would have wiped out saunas in Europe is because of the modesty that was taught along with the religion. For hundreds of years, stripping down to wash was seen as inappropriate, if not sinful, and seeing any body, even your own, was bad. It&#39;s very difficult to use a sauna without being at least mostly exposed! I&#39;m sure there wasn&#39;t much of a way to use them if you weren&#39;t willing to take off most or all of your clothes.

Even those who didn&#39;t follow through with the modesty would have at least pretended to, so bye-bye saunas.

None of this changes the fact that it is quite primal. Suanas may be man-made, but the conditions exists in nature as well, so nothing&#39;s wrong with it.

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast