Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (StoneAgeQueen) page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (StoneAgeQueen)

Shop Now
    I thought it was about time I made one of these so I can keep track of what I'm eating. I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 23 years so will also be discussing blood sugars. If my blood sugar falls low I will refer to it as "being low". High blood sugar will be referred to as "being high". I'm British so will use British blood sugar measurements.

I've been Primal for a few weeks now and have lost a few pounds. I lost 3 stone a few years ago on Atkins and slowly regained 1 stone of it after I got married. I would like to lose 1.5 stone which is 21 pounds. My blood sugars have been wonderful on the PB. I also suffer from candida which is getting better on the PB, and I have celiac disease. I also suspect I have a dairy intolerance because when I eat it it's very hard for me to lose weight. So I won't be replacing the last of the cream in my fridge. From now on my morning coffee will have coconut milk in it.

I'm also doing regular longer periods of fasting to heal kidney damage. I won't be fasting completely though, but juicing vegetables (which isn't really fasting but most people know it as juice fasting), but it's safer for someone with damaged kidneys to fast with vegetable juices. I know of several diabetics that have healed their kidney disease through juice fasting. I will NOT become one of those diabetics on dialysis. So I'm doing this one day a week at the minute, which I'm going to build up gradually. I haven't fasted for the last two weeks because I gave up smoking. I still do Primal IF in place of some meals.

I started today off with high blood sugar because I was annoyingly woken up at 5:30am by my neighbours having a party. Thank goodness we're leaving here soon. It took me an hour or so to get back to sleep, and when I woke up again my BS was 10.4.

When it had gone down again, breakfast consisted of a pint of water, some freshly brewed coffee with cinnamon, stevia and a little cream. Then I had some bacon and eggs fried in grassfed butter. I had one nicotine lozenge.

Hubby and I went to a place called 'The giant's ring' which is a neolithic monument built in 2700BC. It contains a grave chamber and tomb and is surrounded by a ringed henge. We spent a few hours there, wandering around the beautiful hills and trees and basking in the warm sun. That was the exercise for today.

Dinner was a big stirfry of Asian vegetables, peppers, onions etc and king prawns in sesame oil. Dessert was a few raspberries and blueberries. They're the only fruit I can eat (in small amounts) without getting a high.

BS is now in the normal range.

Hubby is gradually becoming more primal and says he will go 80% once he's read the book. When we first married his diet consisted of oreos, pizza, beer and bread. I soon put a stop to that when he moved to the U.K to be with me (he's American).

Fiona
    Last edited by StoneAgeQueen; 04-11-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Fiona, good for you.

What an interesting life you lead. Not without problems, but they are different problems than many of us have. And not without good aspects as well.

For instance, you have no doubt added decades to your husband's life.

Good luck, I'll keep watching how things go for you.

Thank you very much, Piano Doctor Lady. I do feel very blessed that I now feel completely in control of my own health, and very positive about the future. It's due to people like Mark, that I have my life back.
    Fruit and starch free.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The Giant's Ring... now that sounds interesting. I love stuff like that!

Way to go on "converting" hubby. He's going to be so much better off for it for sure. It's wonderful that you have somebody so supportive also.

Thanks Diana. Yes, he's great, very supportive indeed. Sometimes he'll bring me back little primal treats from the supermarket.

I got hungry last night after posting on here and had a handful of mixed nuts and some sausages. Blood sugar was good all evening but got low during the night. I had a few sips of apple juice and was ok again. Woke up to normal BS and am now enjoying a delicious coffee with coconut milk. I've come up to my parent's house today in the beautiful countryside, will probably go for a walk later in the sun.
    Fruit and starch free.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of Primal treats- my friends and family still get a kick out of how tickled I am to receive meat as a gift- lol.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Meat the gift that.... well, it's just a good gift.

Lekki is offline Junior Member
    Hey Stoneagequeen.

Congrats on making so many wonderful, positive changes. Can't wait to read your progress... until then, I have some ribs to eat

Lxxx

Thanks guys. :-)

Well I've avoided MDA for the last few days because I've been fasting since Monday night. I kept having fantasies about eating meat and was feeling very primal about it, wanting to tear it off with my teeth and cook it over an open fire.

I broke my fast today with an avocado, eggs and bacon. It was delicious! I am feeling super fit and strong after my fast. I am literally bursting with energy and feel like climbing trees or something. My blood sugars throughout the whole fast were perfect- not one high or low. They stayed between 4and 6. I'm planning to do another one next week. Throughout the fast I drank a few cups of senna tea to get things moving. It works a treat.

I've noticed that when I fast my dreams become very vivid and full of strong symbolism like fire, water and various animals. Now I can understand why a lot of religious figures used it to gain spiritual insight. The Greeks strongly believed in it and used it to cure diseases.

"Instead of using medicine, rather, fast a day." - Hippocrates
    Fruit and starch free.

strom is offline Senior Member
    I'm reading an older version of this. http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bernsteins-...1357389&sr=1-1

I may be a useful book for you since, he is also a type 1 diabetic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast