Thread: Vitamin D and sunlight page

Dear Mark,

I have a question for you that concerns sunlight and getting enough Vitamin D.

I cannot get a decent amount of sun exposure because I am photosensitive (literally, I get a rash from sun exposure). I get reactions from certain light bulbs as well, such as ones used to give animals higher vitamin absorption (my mom has an African Grey, which is how I learned that). I can only handle about 10 minutes outside before I start to get itchy, per day, which I normally get from walking from my car to the house or store and back.

With this limitation, I was wondering what the best supplement would be for my vitamin D levels. I know there are issues with bioavailibility, so I would like some help in resolving this without changing my eating habits too much. I am concerned about my eventual bone strength, and I would like to fix this as soon as I can.

I am sure people who live in climates where sun strength is too strong in the summer for safe sunbathing or too low/cold in the winter would also like to have an answer to this question.

Thanks very much!

Anna

"The rose petal floats on water. The kingfisher flashes above the pond. Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

-al'Lan Mandragoran
    "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan

Visit my blog: http://www.antihousewife.com/

Ailu is offline Junior Member

Well, I might be able to help... Make sure and use a supplement that packs the vitamin D in an oil base, such as olive oil. I used a capsule form of powdered Vit D for months and it had no impact on my D levels. Found out the powdered Vit D often passes thru the system w/o uptake because it is fat soluble, it needs to combine with fat for uptake to succeed. Also, make sure and get your Vit D levels tested, if you supplement when you are already high, it can cause problems as well.

TomD is offline Junior Member

And make sure it is D3

Crystal W. Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yes, make sure it's D3. Vitamin D levels should be at least 60. I think it's hard to overdose but can be done. It will take quite a bit to get levels up if they're low.