Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory

Shop Now
    So, I see a tator thread with the stipulation that its for people who have taken the challenge....and a tator thread that introduced and it seems both are a bit "chilly" to those who would postulate on the mechanisms through which the diet works. So post em here. Vent your questions, concerns, and metabolic theory here without fear of being labeled some sort of diet zealot/tator hater! Why do some not see any loss of weight even when eating at a very obvious deficit? How can you lose 1lb a day (3500 calories)? Does that mean there is a thermogenic effect to all that starch? Is it water weight?......Hey there is lots to explore. Have at it without fear!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    It reminds me of the cabbage soup diet, which I did once and felt like absolute shit doing.

PS I did ask that question in one thread about using cabbage, but no one clued in that I was actually challenging the idea. I don't see how it can be good for you. I mean if the idea is that Grok ate tubers because there was nothing else, then weren't the Groks eating them to simply survive - as in keep from imminent death - cause there is no meat around. Sure I'm not going to die if I eat potatoes for 10 days, but that doesn't mean it's good for my health or optimal. And if they're supposed to be eaten with no fat... aargh that would be awful...
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 11-11-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Ok, how about this?

And there are documented cases of people losing significant amounts of weight and improving metabolic parameters by eating nothing but potatoes. For example, Chris Voigt lost 21 pounds over the course of two months by eating only potatoes and not deliberately restricting calories. Furthermore, his fasting glucose decreased by 10 mg/dL (104 to 94 mg/dL), his serum triglycerides dropped by nearly 50%, his HDL cholesterol increased slightly, and his calculated LDL cholesterol dropped by a stunning 41% (142 to 84 mg/dL).
    That was from Chris Kressler http://chriskresser.com/is-starch-a-...ent-or-a-toxin

OH wait, that's a pro. Sorry.

Ok, how about this from our one and only Mark?

Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple

OH wait, that's a pro also.

Ok, how about this also from Mark?

Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Oh wait, that's a pro also. I guess pros are all I got so I won't post those here.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I'm gonna go ahead and debate myself just in case nobody with positive tator stories show up. I actually hope they do. I'm not looking to just bash the deal, but I would like to have a place where people don't think we are just being hateful or something. I have questioned the low protein portion of the diet. Pklopp made an interesting metabolic observation here into how weight loss may actually occur through a mechanism of lean mass break down. If I find it I might repost it. I think that is actually the scariest proposition.....that all this very fast weight loss is through muscle, bone, and organ....rather than fat. I'm not saying it actually is, but the speed of loss .5-1lb/day is nothing short of miraculous. Its either water weight, increased metabolic rate, or a lot of lean mass IMO. Most current studies indicate protein as the key to retaining lean mass. Although potatoes contain "complete" proteins (10%) you are still eating only 10% or calories at a SEVERE deficit.....this is still a huge deficiency in protein.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Ok, how about this?

That was from Chris Kressler Is starch a beneficial nutrient or a toxin? You be the judge.

OH wait, that's a pro. Sorry.

Ok, how about this from our one and only Mark?

Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple

OH wait, that's a pro also.

Ok, how about this also from Mark?

Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Oh wait, that's a pro also. I guess pros are all I got so I won't post those here.
    Nah, you can post here! I'm just trying to make it OK to theorize and even question without being told that your just being hateful. I would love of for the fella who started this (forgot the name Otzi posted) or anyone with a word on metabolizm to join!

I missed the one by Chris, but the two from Mark are in the context of a primal diet and surely do not exclude all other foods for just tators for two weeks. This isn't about potatoes as a PART of your diet....its about potatoes exclusively. I don't even think its gonna hurt you to do it for two weeks.....heck I've fasted for near that time. I'm just opening up the line of opinion and theory without hurting anyones feelings (hopefully).

Oh, and I heard that Voigt fella had to discontinue his experiment due to "accelerated" weight loss....something that would fit with Pklopps statement on lean mass.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-11-2012 at 07:00 PM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Its either water weight, increased metabolic rate, or a lot of lean mass IMO. Most current studies indicate protein as the key to retaining lean mass. Although potatoes contain "complete" proteins (10%) you are still eating only 10% or calories at a SEVERE deficit.....this is still a huge deficiency in protein.
    Ok, I know this is going to come as a shock from my posts, but I am not a scientist nor do I know all the technical this's and that's and big words that most of you use ... I know shocker.

So in basic terms that I understand, I really do not see a difference in eating tators for a few days to a few weeks, and straight up fasting - either absolute or with things like CO, kraut - all of which do not have any protein, right? Is it not true that in the absence of protein that your body will do a little housekeeping first before it goes after your muscle? I can't remember the number of days now, but seems like there was a rough guess as to the number of days that it was safe to fast before you saw any detriments to your muscles.

Would this not be the same? I just dont see how eating a only one food is so much worse than eating NO food when fasting. Or only eating bone broth when fasting. Or only eating CO or kraut when fasting.

Not trying to be hateful. And maybe I am just overly simple minded.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I am curious how people can lose so much weight on just potatoes. It seems like they are losing more than a simple calorie deficit could account for.

At the same time, however, not a single person has posted a before and after picture. At least tell us if your measurements have changed or something. I don't find scale weight by itself to tell you very much.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I don't like diets. Eat clean, move slowly, sprint and lift heavy things.
    I appreciate the some people have screwed up their body after years of CW and need to tweek things but live the lifestyle and all will be well.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    @ sbhikes...and tell us how your tastebuds are fairing....lol
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Ok, I know this is going to come as a shock from my posts, but I am not a scientist nor do I know all the technical this's and that's and big words that most of you use ... I know shocker.

So in basic terms that I understand, I really do not see a difference in eating tators for a few days to a few weeks, and straight up fasting - either absolute or with things like CO, kraut - all of which do not have any protein, right? Is it not true that in the absence of protein that your body will do a little housekeeping first before it goes after your muscle? I can't remember the number of days now, but seems like there was a rough guess as to the number of days that it was safe to fast before you saw any detriments to your muscles.

Would this not be the same? I just dont see how eating a only one food is so much worse than eating NO food when fasting. Or only eating bone broth when fasting. Or only eating CO or kraut when fasting.

Not trying to be hateful. And maybe I am just overly simple minded.
    Perfectly good point! Maybe a periodic potato fast isn't so bad in the sense of what they call "autophagy". This is when your body does the cleaning you speak of gopoints. To be quite honest I don't know. I know that with fasting autophagy occurs and does the cleanup....a big plus for the IF crowd. Does this event happen with a steady supply of starch though? Does it only require a reduced amount of protein? Or would the consistent supply of glucose and insulin from the potatoes nullify that effect. A lot of study on longevity seems to indicate that lower insulin levels (carbs AND protein) along with low blood glucose levels to be best.

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast