Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory page 9

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    OK, but how about if you could make them a bit more palatable with only a smal addition of other calories, but still achieve a similar result? This is what I aim to find out. Just a few hours ago I made a pot of potato soup, an off the cuff recipe creation."
    A hack of a hack. Gotta love it!

My favorite hack of the hack so far, is my extra thick bone broth (I grind my bones & veggies - I know someone will tell me if I should not do that for some reason) so anyways, tators smoothered in this thick and lovely bone broth. NOM NOM NOM
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    OK, but how about if you could make them a bit more palatable with only a smal addition of other calories, but still achieve a similar result? This is what I aim to find out. Just a few hours ago I made a pot of potato soup, an off the cuff recipe creation."
    Two or three cans of Tuna in water would add relative little calories and make the diet far more sustainable IMO. Dieters, especially those close to, or below 12% of bodyfat (20 % for woman) run a great risk of burning off lean bodymass by going too low on protein...

Yal the trouble with adding this and this and that and that, is then ppl say but I just didnt see the same results from eating tators. Well of course not, you weren't doing the same thing You are just seeing different results of doing something different other than just tators.

Not to say that is bad or good, just different. It's nice to know the different things you can do and what the effects might be.

I do enjoy a baked tator with tuna though, but I havent eaten it on an all tator day. But I use to eat that alot, before tators were on my Sh*t list.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I had a successful run on boiled potatoes, eggs and ground beef cooked with no added fats and salt, eaten to satiation in the 'whatever combination you want' manner.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Yal the trouble with adding this and this and that and that, is then ppl say but I just didnt see the same results from eating tators. Well of course not, you weren't doing the same thing You are just seeing different results of doing something different other than just tators.
    Right, but what "results" are people seeing? I may be wrong but I suspect that most people are focusing too much on the numbers of the scale when doing this, but yes there will be a large energy deficit, so people will lose weight. Depending on level of activity, just 10 - 14 days of only potatoes should not do too much harm though...

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    I rather like tuna in olive oil, as it seems the only way I can get fresh olive oil (every time I buy a bottle I think I get some ancient out of date thing, as it tastes like crap)

But yeah, I do find it a little confusing when so many people are essentially saying 'Oh, so it's all taters, all the time, nothing else except taters? Cool! I'll try that, with some fried in oil, a bit of cheese, maybe some protein powder and plenty of salmon, cos you need your omega 3s..."

Potatoes people, potatoes!

Having said all that, wifey, who has a body like a very-slightly plump teenager (5'3" 120 lb) insisted on a MacD tonight, so I ended up with a portion of French fries

In fairness though, it does seem the protein level is too high to get the low-protein benefits from the 5-2 diet (BBC Horizon thing) so adding some zero-fat protein probably wouldn't hurt - IF the zero-fat is a primary mechanism, rather than just low calories.

Ah, whatever, why over-think it? Potatoes.

AC

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Right, but what "results" are people seeing? I may be wrong but I suspect that most people are focusing too much on the numbers of the scale when doing this
    Right and I think that is because the main reason ppl are doing it in the first place was for the weight loss, to break a plateau or something. And while I didnt do much past a couple days here and there, my non-scale was waaaaay more impressive to me, than my scale, though my scale was more impressive than my last 2 or 3 months of efforts combined though, so I loved seeing the scale moving also, but more than that, I loved my 10inches lost and I am really digging the new jean size, but on top of all that even, is that I am exercising again. I just had no desire before - I knew I should - but I just didnt want to. Now, I want to It just feels like I have been jumpstarted, like my battery was recharged or something.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A78jmber View Post
    . It seems like they are losing more than a simple calorie deficit could account for.
    The claims of several pounds per day beggar belief.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

AC
    Understanding something does not constitute over thinking it. Why should one care for the mechanism that underlies this miraculous potato? Because this dietary intervention is not universally applicable, and the very next question that ought to be on your lips is, why? To which the devotees of "not over-thinking it" can only shrug and offer a very unsatisfying "Dunno ... sucks to be a non-responder ... have you given blood letting a go?"

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

Understanding something does not constitute over thinking it
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanC View Post

AC
    Not to answer for him, but I think he was talking in context to preparation and how to eat them. Not the mechanics of why it does or does not work. The hack presented was for tators. Period. Not tators fried in oil, not tators fried in butter, not tators fixed with this or this or this. It was just tators. If you must, season it with a little something, but basically it is just tators. Tators tators tators.

If you don't like just tator, just dont do it. Not much to over think. If you want tators with something else, that is okay too, you just might not have the same results as just tators.

Might not be what he means, but that is my take on it all.

Now... that said.... it would be nice to also know these hacks of a hack do still work and to what degree and why... or why not. Just broadens the range of how to use them and that is a good thing. Just dont say you tried the tator thing and it didn't work for you, cuz that is not really what you tried. You tried a variation.
    Last edited by gopintos; 11-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast