Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory page 19

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    How about if, instead of just tossing around terms like ignorant and ridiculous against Neckhammer who is one of the best informed posters on this board, you actually try coming up with a cogent counter argument?
    Ooh bitchy. As if he would have the vaguest handle on informed scientific understanding. It's all about ego for some people.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Ooh bitchy. As if he would have the vaguest handle on informed scientific understanding. It's all about ego for some people.
    I don't think it was supposed to be for Neck's benefit... but for the benefit of all the readers of the thread.

A better explanation is of benefit to all.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I don't think it was supposed to be for Neck's benefit... but for the benefit of all the readers of the thread.

A better explanation is of benefit to all.
    I was hoping for a better wider fit explanation.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Your ignorance regarding having even the vaguest understanding of metabolism works is clearly demonstrated by your ridiculous statement of 'I see almost no room for starch to be protein sparing ...'
    Well, i did stipulate that it was in the context of the PB fitness guide AND the top end of that scale (150g) which IMO would leave you in only a slight glucose deprived state. I know you exercise at a much greater intensity and frequency than he recommends (hence the stipulation). So no, I don't see all that much room for vast degrees of protein sparing. Maybe "no room" is not completely accurate, and body size and sex needs to be accounted for.....but just generalizing to average human here. It's fine though, feel free to teach me something.....

The Jaminet's (only bringing them up since they are big starch advocates) of the PHD recommend getting 600 calories/day from a combo of protein and glucose to prevent glucose deprivation. I'm giving you all that in glucose! What is the protein to do? How much more sparing is there to be done?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-16-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well, i did stipulate that it was in the context of the PB fitness guide AND the top end of that scale (150g) which IMO would leave you in only a slight glucose deprived state. I know you exercise at a much greater intensity and frequency than he recommends (hence the stipulation). So no, I don't see all that much room for vast degrees of protein sparing. Maybe "no room" is not completely accurate, and body size and sex needs to be accounted for.....but just generalizing to average human here. It's fine though, feel free to teach me something.....

The Jaminet's (only bringing them up since they are big starch advocates) of the PHD recommend getting 600 calories/day from a combo of protein and glucose to prevent glucose deprivation. I'm giving you all that in glucose! What is the protein to do? How much more sparing is there to be done?
    Actually I do not exercise at a much greater intensity than Mark recommends. My heart-rate is below 125 during low-level cardio exercise (which represents the bulk of my cardio activity). During sprints it gets up to about 140-145 but that constitutes a small percentage of my cardio exercise. I am very fit with lung capacity 114% average for my age.

The potato diet is clearly only being advocated as a short-term departure from eating PB. That doesn't invalidate it IMO.

Starch is obviously only protein-sparing in the context of a chronic low-carb diet. That's the only context in which protein-sparing would have meaning.

Actually I do not exercise at a much greater intensity than Mark recommends. My heart-rate is below 125 during low-level cardio exercise (which represents the bulk of my cardio activity). During sprints it gets up to about 140-145 but that constitutes a small percentage of my cardio exercise. I am very fit with lung capacity 114% average for my age.

The potato diet is clearly only being advocated as a short-term departure from eating PB. That doesn't invalidate it IMO.

Starch is obviously only protein-sparing in the context of a chronic low-carb diet. That's the only context in which protein-sparing would have meaning.
    Soooo your saying you just popped off and attacked without actually even reading my whole post then?

I mean a simple...."I'm sorry Neck...I actually idolize you....sorta worship the ground you walk on....your the brightest most handsome man on the internet" would suffice

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I mean a simple...."I'm sorry Neck...I actually idolize you....sorta worship the ground you walk on....your the brightest most handsome man on the internet" would suffice
    That sounds about right.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Dream on

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your ignorance regarding having even the vaguest understanding of metabolism works is clearly demonstrated by your ridiculous statement of 'I see almost no room for starch to be protein sparing ...'
    I'm curious Paleo-bunny...

This kind of statement seems to infer that you have some sort of superior knowledge or understanding of how the metabolism works, and yet you have not offered up that explanation...

And, also, if you have some superior knowledge or understanding of metabolism why is that not reflected in your own weight loss success?

Curiouser and curiouser...

If you do have such knowledge it would indeed be nice if you would share with the other poor fools.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast