Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory page 17

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just a quick response to the 'beginner's gain' thing, there's also the effect of having previously had larger muscle making it easier to regain that same level.

Technically it seems to be something to do with the connective tissue within the muscle having stretched, so it grows bigger easier the 2nd time around but yep, whatever the cause it's a real thing.

Again this is why things tend to be personal, because I wouldn't recommend this to a youngster still growing, a pregnant woman etc etc.

I should also add I quit my spud session this evening, as my brother in law came visiting with some hot spaghetti bolognese, so just another 3 day session.

Yeah I could have refused but then I'd have to explain the whole potato thing

AC

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    You may be confusing claims that potatoes are a complete protein, meaning that they are not deficient in any of the essential amino acids, with meaning that potatoes provide adequate levels of protein. While potatoes may very well be a source of complete protein, you have to eat onerous amounts of potatoes in order to eek out any semblance of a reasonable amount of protein.

According to the USDA, 1.5 kg of raw red potatoes is 1000 kcal with a pittance of 28g of protein for your trouble. Nearly 3.5 lbs. of food to yield 30g of protein? I cannot fathom the dietary contortions I would have to undergo in order to get 60g of protein while somehow stuffing myself with 7 lbs. of potatoes. Let's say I were to go crazy and think that 100g of protein might be appropriate for a 185 lb. reasonably active male to ingest ... that would imply eating 10 lbs. of potatoes, which I would more than likely not do due to sheer physical limitations. The net result of that is that I would be getting woefully inadequate protein.

-PK
    You need to consider that while on a potato diet the body will waste no amino acids whatsoever through converting them into glucose.

Hence muscle maintenance is easy on the macronutrient ratios you describe.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    I am not adding in tuna, eggs, or Indian food, diet coke..... and calling it a potato diet and then questioning other peoples results..... and guess what weight is coming off. Also started at a point that I had stalled at for over 2 year's getting down there with Primal/Paleo but then bouncing up 4-6kgs and down again but not getting under unless I did 3-4hrs a day exercise (bike, running etc).

Day 9 - 6kgs (13.2lbs) down - at least 1.5" off the waist as I need to drill new holes for the belt. Potatoes, white rice, Hot chili sauce, spring onions, chillies, chives, black tea, coffee, water, thats it focusing more on potatoes than white rice. Had one " cheat" night where I added half fillet of grilled fish mixed into a very bland potato soup....wont make that soup again.

Am I over Boiled Potatoes, yes I am... cant wait to have a nice big juice fillet steak and salad that will be this weekend.

No loss in energy, strength or fitness. Keeping up or excelling at pre potato activities. I over the moon with the weight loss, starting at 110.9kgs 6'2" and ~+20% BF I have plenty of muscle to spare and BF to consume, which may be different from the other boys who are doing a hacked PD. Been lighter suits the sports I do so dont mind dropping muscle mass, others may have different goals and thats ok. Be interesting to see if the weight stays off after this week as well and for how long. I let you know.

Interested if this is more to do with Dr Hays food combining theory's as well, havent read much on that but would make sense
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat belly frog View Post
    I am not adding in tuna, eggs, or Indian food, diet coke..... and calling it a potato diet and then questioning other peoples results..... and guess what weight is coming off. Also started at a point that I had stalled at for over 2 year's getting down there with Primal/Paleo but then bouncing up 4-6kgs and down again but not getting under unless I did 3-4hrs a day exercise (bike, running etc).

Day 9 - 6kgs (13.2lbs) down - at least 1.5" off the waist as I need to drill new holes for the belt. Potatoes, white rice, Hot chili sauce, spring onions, chillies, chives, black tea, coffee, water, thats it focusing more on potatoes than white rice. Had one " cheat" night where I added half fillet of grilled fish mixed into a very bland potato soup....wont make that soup again.

Am I over Boiled Potatoes, yes I am... cant wait to have a nice big juice fillet steak and salad that will be this weekend.

No loss in energy, strength or fitness. Keeping up or excelling at pre potato activities. I over the moon with the weight loss, starting at 110.9kgs 6'2" and ~+20% BF I have plenty of muscle to spare and BF to consume, which may be different from the other boys who are doing a hacked PD. Been lighter suits the sports I do so dont mind dropping muscle mass, others may have
    Hey, long as your cool with muscle loss that's totally up to you. Personally I couldn't conceive of any reason to not hang on to all the lean mass I could as I lost some weight. But, I'm also only 160lbs and just eating in a good ole Primal low carb range.

I think you misconstrue the aim of the thread though. It's not to criticize a particular persons results. Its to allow for theorizing about the mechanisms involved without getting personal anecdotes in a tizzy flailing their arms screaming "but it worked! look at all the weight I lost!". To me weight loss is not sufficient. I can hit the gym and skip a couple meals and drop 10lbs today if I like....so what? I may even have to tighten my belt! Is a significant amount of that 10lbs fat though?

Sure Pklopp added in some protein (which will surely save him some lean mass), so no his results won't directly correlate. They don't have to though. Its his experiment.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    You need to consider that while on a potato diet the body will waste no amino acids whatsoever through converting them into glucose.

Hence muscle maintenance is easy on the macronutrient ratios you describe.

He says 3.5 lbs worth of potatoes give 1000 calories and 28g of protein. Your really think overloading on starch is going to be THAT much protein sparing? I sincerely doubt it. I'd have to look up the conversion rate of protein to glucose via gluconeogenesis, but my understanding is that in the absence of carbohydrate it is fairly consistent and quite slow to boot. In the end I don't you can claim to displace over 100g of animal protein with a bunch of starch. This doesn't give the exact rates I was looking for, but its a good start http://www.ketotic.org/

Not to mention it seems you would compare this to a no carb diet, while most primal eaters (just from observation) seem to be in the 70-150g range anyhow. I see almost no room for starch to be protein sparing if your in the upper end of that and following a PB fitness plan.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-14-2012 at 07:10 PM.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think you misconstrue the aim of the thread though. It's not to criticize a particular persons results. Its to allow for theorizing about the mechanisms involved without getting personal anecdotes in a tizzy flailing their arms screaming "but it worked! look at all the weight I lost!". Sure Pklopp added in some protein (which will surely save him some lean mass), so no his results won't directly correlate. They don't have to though. Its his experiment.
    No worries mate, I understand, arm flapping over,

Still interested to hear peoples throughts on if this is more to do with the late Dr Hays food combining theory's as well, havent read much on that but reportedly good results from people that follow it..

Also I think there is an increase in metobolic rate, either from processing the resitant starch in Poataoes and rice or other process, anyway I jump back on the STFU coach as I havent got a medical background and its all guesswork on my behalf.

Cheers
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

healthy11 is online now Senior Member
    i've read through almost all of the tater threads, but not all of this one yet. I am very open-minded and love to learn about how diet affects people and believe different things work for different people so I don't understand why people come in and argue right off the bat without reading the external links, people's experience's and success, etc. and the fact that it is so short-term it can't do much damage. Most of us ate poorly for years and years and years before we found PB. Anyways...

What I think I like about it is this:

I have been VLC for about 4 months and did great with it! Lost about 15 lbs and didn't have cravings, etc. Then I hit my usual 3-4 month 'food funk' where I get sick of cooking, tired of the same foods, don't know what sounds good, craving different kinds of foods, etc. It's a pattern for me and I call it a 'food funk'. So, I ate non-GMO popcorn popped in coconut oil and primal chocolate chunk cookies made with almond meal for 10 days along with my other easy primal meals, but sometimes in place of meals. I think a week or two of taters when I get to my 'food funk' would be good for me. Certainly would have been better than popcorn. I'd probably finish it and be really happy to go right back to craving primal foods again instead of feeling like I am still feeling now ...in a 'food funk'. I think it's good to mix it up every once in awhile. Our bodies need a change every so often.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I also stopped the potato-only eating as of today. I have lost about 7lbs and my stomach is visibly flatter, fitting much better in my clothes. I didn't lose any strength that I could tell - I actually have been performing better in my wright lifting class and have been able to hold the more difficult yoga and Pilates poses for longer. That tells me that fueling with potatoes for my workouts might be a good idea - I just need to eat them with little to no fat. And I need to eat more carbs in general, I have been feeling very good energy-wise and my sleep patterns have regulated nicely.

I started the morning off by doing a yoga class, then eating a couple of scrambled duck eggs. I am going to gently bring back other foods and will probably stick to a lower fat menu for a couple of days. This experiment was great for moving the scale and also for showing me that I need to feed my body differently to gain / maintain strength. And, I think I was simply eating too much before. Potatoes only really helped me focus on more mindful eating. I'll see where I'm at in a couple of weeks and may try it again in a few months if I am having any issues getting the last 7lbs off.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    I also stopped the potato-only eating as of today. I have lost about 7lbs and my stomach is visibly flatter, fitting much better in my clothes. I didn't lose any strength that I could tell - I actually have been performing better in my wright lifting class and have been able to hold the more difficult yoga and Pilates poses for longer. That tells me that fueling with potatoes for my workouts might be a good idea - I just need to eat them with little to no fat. And I need to eat more carbs in general, I have been feeling very good energy-wise and my sleep patterns have regulated nicely.

I started the morning off by doing a yoga class, then eating a couple of scrambled duck eggs. I am going to gently bring back other foods and will probably stick to a lower fat menu for a couple of days. This experiment was great for moving the scale and also for showing me that I need to feed my body differently to gain / maintain strength. And, I think I was simply eating too much before. Potatoes only really helped me focus on more mindful eating. I'll see where I'm at in a couple of weeks and may try it again in a few months if I am having any issues getting the last 7lbs off.
    Good job! Glad it worked. I started eating one large plain baked potato for lunch several days a week. Adding butter, sour cream, and bacon bits completely changes the potato for me. I'm really liking them plain. Let us know how your weight does after a few weeks.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Good job! Glad it worked. I started eating one large plain baked potato for lunch several days a week. Adding butter, sour cream, and bacon bits completely changes the potato for me. I'm really liking them plain. Let us know how your weight does after a few weeks.
    Isn't that funny? I fixed eggs and homefries with a 7oz sirloin. I ate most of my homefries while waiting on the steak to rest. So by the time I got around to the steak, I was too full and ate less than half of it.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast