Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Potato Diet....criticisms and metabolic theory page 10

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Free The Animal

This guy is jumping on the potato bandwagon, more in a PKLOPP style, though. Will be interesting to watch.

"The big hack here, of course, is the potato diet. It's been all over. I've even seen Peter blog about Chris Voight's experiment with potatoes and weight loss. There's apparently a big forum thread at MDA about it, and also comment threads on Ray Cronise's blog.

I don't want to steal any of Ray's thunder and I know he's looking into and experimenting with this in a very thorough way. So, here's just what I get as a gist of the whole deal, not having yet read anything but Peter's post.

Quality amino acid profile
    Low in overall protein (5% or so total calories)
    Low in fat
    High in satiation, while low in "reward" as a function of the overall calories
    In essence, it seems as though if you eat only potatoes you will have a very difficult time eating enough to maintain body weight—so long as they aren't dressed up with a lot of stuff like butter, sour cream, bacon...or deep fried. Apparently, people have been reporting weight loss of 1/2-1 pound per day on these diets without hunger. There might be a gut flora element to the deal as well.

OK, but how about if you could make them a bit more palatable with only a smal addition of other calories, but still achieve a similar result? This is what I aim to find out. Just a few hours ago I made a pot of potato soup, an off the cuff recipe creation."
    From my limited experience on the diet before I realized I'm probably suffering from a low level night shade allergy, you need to ingest a massive amount of potatoes for the satiety effect. Luckily, potatoes are not particularly nutrient dense, so it is quite easy to ingest a large quantity of food with minimal caloric load. This large bolus of food persists in your digestive tract, literally filling you up. If you water down ( pun intended ), that is, dilute your bolus with fluids, you will quickly come to realize just how much food you're not eating.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    From my limited experience on the diet before I realized I'm probably suffering from a low level night shade allergy, you need to ingest a massive amount of potatoes for the satiety effect. Luckily, potatoes are not particularly nutrient dense, so it is quite easy to ingest a large quantity of food with minimal caloric load. This large bolus of food persists in your digestive tract, literally filling you up. If you water down ( pun intended ), that is, dilute your bolus with fluids, you will quickly come to realize just how much food you're not eating.

-PK
    I guess everone is different. When I first tried eating just potatoes for the purported fat-loss effect, I was very hesitant and added lots of spices and sauces and cheated with a few pieces of liver and cheese. I didn't stick it out very long, but did lose a few pounds in about 5 days. The next time, my head was in it better and I stuck to as plain of potato as possible. I used only salt, pepper and vinegar and found I was extremely satiated on just 2-3lbs per day. Some days I'd eat a large (8oz) potato for lunch. Then 2 large potatoes for supper and nothing else the entire day and wasn't hungry in the least. Towards the end, I was almost making myself eat an extra potato at dinner just to get some calories.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Understanding something does not constitute over thinking it. Why should one care for the mechanism that underlies this miraculous potato? Because this dietary intervention is not universally applicable, and the very next question that ought to be on your lips is, why? To which the devotees of "not over-thinking it" can only shrug and offer a very unsatisfying "Dunno ... sucks to be a non-responder ... have you given blood letting a go?"

-PK
    Yeah, I mean this particular thread was made as a safe haven for "over thinkers"

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Just dont say you tried the tator thing and it didn't work for you, cuz that is not really what you tried. You tried a variation.
    This is not meant to be directed at you, you are merely the medium for this message:

You are correct. I am not a fan of kwashiorkor:

Quote Originally Posted by The been there, done that, now I'm over it department.
    kwashiorkor, also called protein malnutrition, condition caused by severe protein deficiency. Kwashiorkor is most often encountered in developing countries in which the diet is high in starch and low in proteins. It is common in young children weaned to a diet consisting chiefly of cereal grains, cassava, plantain, and sweet potato or similar starchy foods. The condition in children was first described in 1932. The term kwashiorkor means “deposed child” (“deposed” from the mother’s breast by a newborn sibling) in one African dialect and “red boy” in another dialect. The latter term comes from the reddish orange discoloration of the hair that is characteristic of the disease.
    Protein malnutrition is well studied and understood ( by some ). The argument that a little kwashiorkor goes a long way towards "busting through a weightloss plateau" is ludicrous.

Here's a very effective hack : purging bulimia. Eat as much as you want and you still lose weight ... of course, you also run the risk of developing massive electrolytes imbalances, digestive issues, severe dental problems, heart arrhythmias including the possibility of heart failure ... but only if you do it for more than a couple of weeks, and the pounds fly off!

-PK

Timthetaco Guest
    That's very dramatic, but I don't think an appeal to childhood malnutrition is a fitting comparison.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    aah. Maybe that is the reason for my big belly (biggish now, not nearly as big as before) But anyways, that might explain it. I love wiki to see what ails me and here all this time, I thought I had this one

Good news I guess, it looks like they are both curable and death preventable.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    People say that not eating grains is very limiting. Eating ONLY potatoes for a week or more... that really IS very limiting. I like variety. Which is why I won't be eating just potatoes. Someone else wants to do this...I am fine with it. But, like most fad diets I suspect when you look at this over time and see what happens, I suspect the weight comes back on after not eating only potatoes.

Besides, my girls are laying and I want to eat those tasty duck eggs while I still have them!

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    That's very dramatic, but I don't think an appeal to childhood malnutrition is a fitting comparison.
    Kwashiorkor is indeed dramatic and prevalent in children due to the fact that they are irrevocably dependent upon their parents for their nutritional well being, and if you're only being fed starches as a child ... well, that's what you eat. You simply have no recourse.

Please explain to me the substantive difference between that and an adult willingly subjecting themselves to incipient kwashiorkor via adopting the precise diet which leads to the condition.

If you wish, I can go back and excise the parts of my earlier post that reference children, leaving only the salient bits relating to how the condition is brought about by eating starches. I'd rather not do that, but if it would reduce the drama factor so we can address the biology behind it, then I would seriously consider it.

-PK

otzi Guest
    Kwashiorkor is indeed dramatic and prevalent in children due to the fact that they are irrevocably dependent upon their parents for their nutritional well being, and if you're only being fed starches as a child ... well, that's what you eat. You simply have no recourse.

Please explain to me the substantive difference between that and an adult willingly subjecting themselves to incipient kwashiorkor via adopting the precise diet which leads to the condition.

If you wish, I can go back and excise the parts of my earlier post that reference children, leaving only the salient bits relating to how the condition is brought about by eating starches. I'd rather not do that, but if it would reduce the drama factor so we can address the biology behind it, then I would seriously consider it.

-PK
    There's another condition: Starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It comes from consuming too few calories. People die from it all over the world. I also see people on Mark's Daily Apple willingly restricting their calories, or fasting--the complete absence of calories! Why would people do such a thing that could lead to death?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    There's another condition: Starvation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It comes from consuming too few calories. People die from it all over the world. I also see people on Mark's Daily Apple willingly restricting their calories, or fasting--the complete absence of calories! Why would people do such a thing that could lead to death?
    You can lob that grenade in my lap when you hear me advocate fasting for two weeks or more without providing any conceptual framework as to why you might want to do that apart from breathlessly proclaiming ... "it just works!!!!!"

Until that time, save your ammunition.

-PK

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast