Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hair Falling Out On the Paleo Diet??? page 2

midnight286 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    On average, people lose 50-100 strands of hair per day (at least, that's what I've read), so from your description, it doesn't seem like anything to be alarmed by.

However, if you are noticing a substantial increase in hair loss, there is a chance that it is due to diet.

My personal experience has been that I've had thinning hair for about a decade, during which time I've also had other hypothyroid symptoms (even though blood tests always came out normal).

When I went low-carb paleo/primal, my other hypothyroid symptoms got insanely bad and my hair loss increased pretty dramatically.

In the past 6 months or so, I've been doing a few things to improve my thyroid function (including high carb/sugar/salt) and cold therapy, and I now have quite a bit of new hair growth. Also, my overall hypothyroid symptoms are definitely improving a lot.

I still lose some hair, but in amounts that seem more appropriate, not by the handfuls the way I had been while eating low-carb primal.
    Hi BestBetter,
    Can you go into more detail about your high carb/sugar/salt diet please?

Green Deane Guest
    Patrick Steward was bald at about that age. When I was in the Army I knew someone who got the traditional bzz cut when he first went in ... and it never grew back. Some times that's just the way it is.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOhJay View Post
    6 months in the Paleo diet, and I'm starting to find at least 20-30 strands fall out after blow-drying my hair...
    What?
    I have no idea why this is happening...
    I started out at 20 years old, 5 foot 8, 149 lbs and now 20 years old, 5 foot 8, 128 lbs.
    Now, I wasn't necessarily fat to begin with but I have lost a significant amount of weight without trying.
    I've cut out all grains besides the occasional quinoa.
    But I can see myself balding- it's scaring me.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Get a thermometer. I bet your body temperature is in the 97's or even 96's. If so, eat lots of carbs, specifically fruit, salt your food heavily, cut your fat intake drastically and the fat you do get make it incidental fats from ruminants. I'd reduce pork, poultry, fish and nuts significantly. Coconut is also your best friend because it boosts your metabolism significantly. I won't lie, my diet is primarily beef, fruit, potatoes and I do all my cooking in either coconut oil (preferably) or butter when coconut oil isn't the right flavor.

I believe long term low carbohydrate dieting to be very unhealthy, whereas moderate fat/moderate carb or even low fat/higher carb to be much healthier. We are glucose burners, and when you restrict and force yourself to constantly burn fat you mimic the metabolism of an elderly person or a diabetic. Healthy metabolisms oxidize rapidly, produce lots of CO2 and minimize lactic acid production. A fat burning metabolism does the opposite of this and is a "slower metabolism" per say.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-24-2013 at 06:41 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Are you iron deficient or low?
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Men are never iron deficient, and what's commonly seen as iron deficiency in any case is actually hypothyroidism.

It's likely stress from sudden change in diet. I saw excessive shedding when I went VLC paleo too. Things to help:

Stop your shitty diet.
    Topical caffeine(greatly reduces hair shedding)
    ketoconazole shampoo(to fight inflammation likely from o6)
    Biotin supplement
    Gelatin

For starters. It's not pattern baldness unless the hair follicles miniaturize and don't grow back.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You might want to have your TSH tested; anything over 1 is hypo. Have some carbs and use coconut oil as your main fat.

stone25 is offline Junior Member
    Hi JonOhJay, there are various reasons for causing this problem like lack of protein rich diet, strong medications, infections, hormones or also not washing your hair properly. The first step that you can easily try in your home is that you should take a balanced protein rich diet. You can also try out some herbal remedies that will also help you take care a lot. If these problems continue for a long time then you should try some drastic methods. I had also faced such an incident in the past and when I check online, I found an article hairsurgeries.com/baldness/ that related to baldness that helped me a lot in taking proper remedial steps.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    It's not pattern baldness unless the hair follicles miniaturize and don't grow back.
    I had that going on in high school. My hairline is pretty steady now, but I could really care less.
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 09-03-2013 at 01:49 AM.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I read that excess selenium could also increase hair loss (?).

natashik85 is offline Member

Red face Not to worry - it'll get better

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by JonOhJay View Post
    6 months in the Paleo diet, and I'm starting to find at least 20-30 strands fall out after blow-drying my hair...
    What?
    I have no idea why this is happening...
    I started out at 20 years old, 5 foot 8, 149 lbs and now 20 years old, 5 foot 8, 128 lbs.
    Now, I wasn't necessarily fat to begin with but I have lost a significant amount of weight without trying.
    I've cut out all grains besides the occasional quinoa.
    But I can see myself balding- it's scaring me.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Hi,

I had the same problem after losing a lot of weight in the short time. I freaked out as well and went to all sorts of researches. Because before I lost weight I really had beautiful, long and thick hair - a pride of mine actually. So what it all came down to - it is simply reaction to a stress your body is experiencing with such a rapid weight loss. For me - vitamin complexes (designed for strengthening hair and nails) helped - or at least I think so - might be simply the fact that my body got over the weight loss drama (after about 4 months of hair falling out) and got back to the normal routine of dropping 5-10 hairs a day.

The other thing that might help getting over it - is cutting your hair shorter. It is more of phycology though - 20 long hairs in your palm look scarier than 20 shorter ones But then it'll give you less stress and your body will recover quicker.

For me I still donít have the hair as thick as they used to be, but I am seeing a lot of new hair growing - so I will just give it a time.

Take care!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12