Thread: PB and Breastfeeding page

have2laugh is offline Junior Member

PB and Breastfeeding

Primal Fuel
    I started eating the PB way when my baby was 5 month old and have notice a significant drop in my milk production (pumping and breastfeeding). Its been almost 2 weeks and I've noticed that my daughter seems satisfied with less milk. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced possibly a higher quality milk requiring less quantity, or if my daughter is just going through a phase that she doesn't need as much and when she has another growth spurt, I'll need to start supplementing.

Thoughts?

Bron is offline Senior Member
    It's pretty normal Even mums who express full time find it very difficult to keep supply up, even with all the tricks they have up their sleeves. She's likely going through a developmental stage and needs more milk (temporarily) to fuel that development. You might find she rolls over (for example) in the next few days.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    BF went up and down with me, pre-Primal. It depended on the kid and their needs at the time. My body was mostly able to cope when the tot wanted more after lagging off. The one exception was #2, who had poor muscle tone and was not able to keep up the sucking at 10 months and I dried up. We later found he had fine muscle control issues that resulted in speech therapy, occupational therapy for writing, and vision therapy to focus his eyes on the same spot. I would say he was pretty rare as my other two nursed till 1.5 and 3 years.

If weight goes down, or you stop producing at all, then maybe step up some more of healthy carbs (fruits maybe) and see if that makes a difference. Do give some time for baby to stimulate you into producing more. If may feel like the first days of nursing, but it will step production back up.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    You will produce to demand, except in very rare circumstances so should not need to supliment.

I would say you will need plenty of carbs, otherwise where is the lactose in the milk going to come from?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Chattyprincess is offline Junior Member
    Drink lots of water, at least half your body weight in ounces per day. How much are you eating daily? Do you know the carb/fat/protein breakdown? You need A LOT of nutrient dense foods to produce good quality milk. By 6 months of age babies usually become more efficient nursers as well, meaning they get more in less time. As baby grows they will nurse more during growth spurts, signaling to your body to produce more milk. As long as you are having baby empty the breast at each nursing then you are fine. Also if you are using pumped milk as a means to judge production it is not a reliable means of doing so. Pumping will always produce less then baby will nurse. Also that full feeling in your breast that feels like they are full of milk tends to go away the longer baby is nursing, unless baby has skipped a feeding and you are overly full. Amazing breastfeeding resource. Drink lots of water, at least half your body weight in ounces per day. How much are you eating daily? Do you know the carb/fat/protein breakdown? You need A LOT of nutrient dense foods to produce good quality milk. By 6 months of age babies usually become more efficient nursers as well, meaning they get more in less time. As baby grows they will nurse more during growth spurts, signaling to your body to produce more milk. As long as you are having baby empty the breast at each nursing then you are fine. Also if you are using pumped milk as a means to judge production it is not a reliable means of doing so. Pumping will always produce less then baby will nurse. Also that full feeling in your breast that feels like they are full of milk tends to go away the longer baby is nursing, unless baby has skipped a feeding and you are overly full. Amazing breastfeeding resource. Kellymom.com

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Congratulations! Babies are awesome.

My wife struggled to produce enough milk for our first child (pre-primal). We switched from margarine to butter, and whoosh! Instant milk production.

As everyone else has said, your baby is pretty good at 'driving' your body to produce the milk they need.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right