View Poll Results: How was your transfer from SAD to PB?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • No problems and many benefits

18 56.25%
  • Some low carb issues or stomach upset, nothing big.

13 40.63%
  • Serious issues & upsets but worth it.

1 3.13%
  • Many issues & upsets causing multiple re-starts.

0 0%

Thread: Question about PB and transfering over from SAD page

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member

Question Question about PB and transfering over from SAD

Shop Now
    I started my 30 day challenge April 1st and it doesn't seem to be going like everyone else's.

I haven't been craving sugar or disgusted by it. I haven't been longing to eat icing right from the jar like I used to or staring at DH's mashed potatoes with longing. I haven't found a new wellspring of energy or really noticed anything different. I was tired for a few days cause I wasn't getting enough sleep... I slept in and I'm back to normal again. No blockages or runs, no gurgles or pangs.

I know I'm doing it right as evidenced by my journal... and believe me I'm not complaining... but where's the low carb-flu I dreaded? Where's the icks and awesomes?

I know I'm only 10 days in and I plan to stick it out for the 30... I'm just wondering if I'm really making a difference since I'm seeing no signs of change.
    ~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I checked "serious issues but worth it" because it came the closest to my experience. My issues weren't that "serious" in the big scheme of things, but I spent 6 weeks absolutely dragging, no energy, just wanted to lie on the floor and stare at the ceiling. Given my physically demanding lifestyle and heavy workout schedule, that was serious to me! But absolutely worth it.

If you aren't doing a lot of physical activity, you're less likely to notice the common exhaustion of low-carb flu. Also, some people just adapt more easily that others -- and those aren't the ones who post asking for help, so you don't hear their side of the story. Same goes for those who don't experience the stellar benefits right away, in a dramatic fashion. (I was one of those -- as a very clean eater pre-primal, I didn't experience an instant high like I might have if I'd come from the SAD.)
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

periquin is offline Senior Member
    About the only thing I did to transfer was eliminate Ezekiel bread, and cut way back on kefir. That wasn't enough of a change to make a difference.

Forgot to add that I also cut back on my arroz con gandules. I won't give that up though!! Never!!

Sorry Periquin but I have NO CLUE what that stuff is except the vaguest recollection that kefir might be some kinda yogurt drink.

Ezekiel bread-----simply put---a bread made with sprouts, not flour. The ingredient list is somewhere in the book of Ezekiel---Bible--Old Testament
    Arroz con gandules----rice and pidgeon peas-------pasta for Italians; arroz con gandules for Carib types.
    Kefir----I guess you could call it a liquidy yogurt

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I didn't have any issues mainly because I had already cleaned up my diet quite a bit, avoiding processed food etc. I also started low carb gradually before I got here. I haven't noticed huge amounts of extra energy either, but do feel generally quite healthy and perhaps a bit calmer. I never had a sweet tooth so I didn't experience cravings either. My diet when I was growing up was good but simple without sweets, cakes or sugary drinks, and not that far off PB, at least till my mum went back to work, so to me this feels more normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    My diet when I was growing up was good but simple without sweets, cakes or sugary drinks, and not that far off PB, at least till my mum went back to work, so to me this feels more normal.
    I think we may have found the tipping point. Growing up for me, a snack was raw broccoli and a treat was raisins or fruit leather.(many grains though cause there were many mouths and little money) Maybe those who grew up with sugary candy & sweets are the ones having the most trouble. Input? Ideas? Voices from the other side of the fence?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hmm...I didn't have any significant metabolic problems (that I know of) but I did have that extended low-energy phase when I first when primal.

My childhood was full of real, clean food. Very little packaged and processed crap, almost no soda or chips, candy only on holidays, etc. We did consume the typical American "health foods" like grains and dairy.

I suspect my childhood diet made the transition to primal easier mentally/emotionally, and I had fewer addicitions to break. It also spared me a lot of the metabolic problems I might otherwise have suffered. But did it help with the actual low-carb flu phase? I don't really think so.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry, I also didn't experience any super human energy boosts or anything. I also didn't have cravings for sugars or carbs. It was after the first month that I started noticing such things, I had lost about 8lbs (I was hoping for more, but my overall weight loss goal at the beginning was only about 25lbs so in retrospect it was really good) and clothes were starting to feel a little better. Regarding energy I still don't feel like I can outrun a wildebeast and tear it to pieces, but maybe energy is different for everybody. I can go through my workouts well (in a fasted state) and I can continue with the fast well into the afternoon without feeling bad at all.. so maybe that's a form of energy that I wasn't previously acknowledging. Stick with it, it will seriously pay off. I also thought everybody here was bluffing because I didn't see it in myself, now that I'm starting to (after 2 1/2 months) trust me when I tell you... we ain't playing...