Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Liver Revelation page

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

My Liver Revelation

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so we all know just how fantastic liver is for us. I love the mild taste of chicken livers, but I'm still working toward consuming real beef liver with actual enjoyment (I know, bacon and onions, but adult beef liver is pretty strong stuff, even compared to calve's liver).

My wife has hit upon a solution, however:

Cut the liver into strips or small chunks and place them in a food processor, just enough to cover the blades. Pulse until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl and stirring every ten pulses or so.

Pour the liver puree into an ice cube tray. After freezing for 2 weeks (so as to kill any parasites that might be lurking therein, as unlikely as that may be), pop the cubes out of the tray and onto a cutting board. The tops of the cubes will be brown. Don't worry, this is just oxidation of the iron at the surface, just like happens to red meat in the refrigerator.

Cut the frozen cubes with a heavy knife, essentially dicing them into swallowable smaller cubes. Store in a ziploc bag and dose out as you see fit, swallowing with a glass of water as you would with any normal pill.

I usually work on 2 or 3 cubes at a time so they don't get too melty and messy, putting the tray back in the freezer while I work.

Someday, I hope to actually enjoy beef liver. Until then, I can put it down raw and difficulty-free with only a little more effort than it would take to cook it.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Good idea! Your wife is a smart lady.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Any other organ meat hacks people would like to share?
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about making pate?

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    I just add the liver to spag sauce (well for squash). Or to other spicy dishes so that the flavor will be covered up.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Can't really choke down liver now a days... LOVED it with onions as a kid... weird huh??? What about sauteing it in BACON FAT!!! Would that even taste good... Bacon makes it all better... I actually rubbed a steak down with bacon fat the other day... It was DE---LISH!

jacsuza is offline Member
    Currently making chopped chicken liver as we speak -- lots of onions in the pan with the livers. After they're fully cooked, going to run them through the meat grinder attachement on the mixer with some hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise. (Gotta keep it kohser-style.)

Actually, I'm making this batch for my MIL. She's 80+, has had two strokes and is in extremely poor health. I made some a couple of weeks ago for Passover and her helper told me that she really enjoyed eating it, albeit in small doses. Definitely better for her than her usual cookies and cr*p!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    One word: horseradish

I don't like liver when it's fully cooked. It seems dry and has a bad texture and after taste.

Better with onions, lots of bacon, and just barely seared on both sides. I like it better when it's nearly raw in the middle, but still warm. I get the onions and bacon almost ready to eat, heat up the pan a bit more, sear the liver on both sides, and serve it all up.

I used to like it rare with onions but dredged in wheat germ. Can't do that anymore, obviously.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    I was gonna buy some liver at the store today, had no idea it had such a rancid taste... I also thought it had a pretty hefty toxin load, considering it IS..well, a LIVER after all... What exactly does it taste like?? What about tongue or heart?? I keep hearing organ meats are the way to go. Hey why not?

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Beef tongue is really tasty. I ate it growing up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast