Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could 24 hour IF's stall weight loss? page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Question Could 24 hour IF's stall weight loss?

Shop Now
    In my opinion, IF has been a revelation, but mostly because it's taught me what true hunger is vs. psychological cravings. As far as my weight loss is concerned, I attribute that more to mild caloric restriction, consuming the "right" foods, and the complete elimination of carbohydrate from my diet. I've built-in a 15 hour fast everyday (KGH-style), but I was also fasting for 24 hours at some point during the week. This 24 hour fast would usually come the day before my weigh-in day, Friday, so that I'd be depleted and the scale would be more kind as a result. But in the days that followed I'd pack on 3-4 LBS, which is DEPRESSING! That weight would fall off as time went on but I can't help but think that those fluctuations in weight are slowing me down.

I've lost 55 LBS in little more than 3 months so I'm thrilled, overall, but am I benefiting from these 24-hour fasts, once/week? Or should I just continue on with my daily 15-hour fasts and skip the 24-hour fast?

Thanks!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I would take very careful note of what you're eating post fast. Are you compensating with too many calories? If not, stick to what works for you! Maybe just one 24 hour fast once a month to shake things up, and stick with your 15 hour fasts.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The benefits of a fast are almost all there already after 15 hours. The detriments of an extended fast take almost 72 hours to set in.

If you enjoy the 24 hour fast, go for it, but I don't know that it's necessary.

I'm not sure why you're putting on so much weight on the following days, but it's unlikely to be fat. Do you feel like you might be retaining water?
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Lillian is offline Member
    It could also be the weight of the food? Most people eat about 3-4lbs of food a day and if you're weighing yourself after you've eaten, then you're probably just seeing your weight + the weight of the food. I've read around here that most people's weight fluctuates 3-4lbs so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you've stalled.

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    You are a large human with a massive amount of lean mass J. After an IF and a workout such as yours your muscle will be starving for glucose. Every gram of glucose you eat will be shuttled for storage(as glucose not fat) and with each gram of glucose will come some water. A lot of lean mass will hold a lot of water. Are you taking creatine as well?

I'm not taking any performance supplements, no. I've taken creatine in the past, and liked it, but not for years and years.

You make a good point though, good call!
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    I think Richard at Free The Animal has experienced this too. He will weigh more after a fast but then it goes down in about 3 days and ends up lower than before he started the fast. The fluctuation is normal and I think the IF is probably helping more than hurting.

emmie is online now Senior Member
    The IF isn't slowing your loss, but you might want to just stick to 15-hour fasts if that is easier for you. Let me explain.

I do 'JUDDD' which is alternate day calorie restriction, mainly because being post-menopausal and hypothyroid, I cannot lose unless I seriously restrict calories, even eating strictly primal which I do and love.

On this plan, one eats <500 cal on alternate days (I actually do about 350 cal., but only on M, W, Fri for convenience). The doctor who developed this explains that a total fast would be ideal, but studies showed that with <500 cal, a person could obtain the same benefits as with a total fast. However, it's best to schedule your eating to get a 13-15 hour total fast.

He also recommends weighing ONLY after one of these low days. Like you, I've found that the depleted body gives my lowest weight, but if I weighed after the next day of more 'normal' eating (about 1500 cal), I find that I'm 'up' about 2-3 lbs. I suspect that's a more accurate weight.

However, over the 16 months that I've been doing this, I have lost steadily. My chart shows monthly losses, no gains, and although I'm losing slowly, it's steady. So I don't think that the fasting is hurting your weight loss at all. I find there are wider fluctuations on this type of plan, and it's best not to weigh too often. But it definitely works.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    what you are experiencing is very normal after a fast. I believe Brad Pilon talked about this on a podcast.
    I grok, therefore I am.

Thanks, guys and gals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast