Thread: 5 HTP & muscle soreness page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Exclamation 5 HTP & muscle soreness

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there. Has anyone taken 5 HTP and experienced on going muscle soreness/fatigue? I only took it for about a week but could not handle the extreme tiredness and headache. I quit taking it about 4-5 days ago and it's like I'm having a huge flare up of my old arthritis. What's going on? What did I trigger? I also seem to have gained a couple pounds and retaining water. I just don't feel right.

I've been primal for over two years and all signs of arthritis went away within two weeks. I do not like this. Please, does anyone have experience. I've already scared myself from webmd talking about EMS, but my symptoms are not that severe.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    This thread raises my interest since I've been thinking about taking 5-HTP 50 mg and Melatonin 1 mg at night to help me have a good sleep.

If someone here could explain the mechanism why you experienced such negative effects I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your question.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I've also been taking 5-HTP/Melatonin combo for the past 5 years every night. Curiously, I also haven't menstruated during that time however I finally found a solution to anxiety related sleep disturbance and I don't want to mess with a good thing!

So you confirm that it works for that kind of stuff Meghanner ?
    I have severe neurotransmitters issues due to my hypopituitarism, my circadian rhythm is often all messed up, trouble falling asleep, trouble sleeping again after waking up to the go to the bathroom, trouble with the quality of my sleep...

Oh and to the OP, I just found many many studies which talks about positive effets of 5-HTP and serotonin on weight loss, so your problems sound very strange.
    Maybe it's something else ?

Still, I don't know all the mechanism of this.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

JudyCr is offline Senior Member

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    So you confirm that it works for that kind of stuff Meghanner ?
    I have severe neurotransmitters issues due to my hypopituitarism, my circadian rhythm is often all messed up, trouble falling asleep, trouble sleeping again after waking up to the go to the bathroom, trouble with the quality of my sleep...

Oh and to the OP, I just found many many studies which talks about positive effets of 5-HTP and serotonin on weight loss, so your problems sound very strange.
    Maybe it's something else ?

Still, I don't know all the mechanism of this.
    Yes, it works for me. If I have a hard time returning to sleep after waking I'll just take some more. I hope it helps.

Yep it does help, it motivates me to order some

Could you tell me how much you take please ?

I'm still not sure if it was the 5 HTP. I didn't take it that long. Maybe a week. I took the 100mg 12 hour release kind at bedtime and 1000 mg of tyrosine in the morning. I felt incredibly sleepy in the afternoon. I did sleep better, but couldn't take the sleepiness during the day.

At the same time I happened to start eating green smoothies in the morning. Swiss chard, whey protein, coconut milk, blueberries. I ended up not being able to digest those well. Even with digestive enzymes.
    The arthritis flare up and overall muscle soreness started around this time too.
    I honestly don't know what triggered this.

On the 10th I just started the autoimmune protocol ( eliminating eggs, dairy, nuts, seeds, nightshades) to see if it helps calm my system down. My tummy feels great, but still feel pain in my hands. In not sure what to say.

My profile: 37 yrs old, about 8lbs of fat loss to go, on birth control to manage pain of endometriosis. Symptoms of PCOS under control with primal diet. Workout 2-3 days per week. Overall feel pretty healthy and strong.

My Journal

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I've never heard of 5-HTP causing something like this. I've never taken a "release form" of 5-HTP, I've only ever taken it just as is, in two doses at night (half at dinner, half a bit before bedtime). It doesn't make me sleepy during the day. I take it for depression.

I get pain in my hands and knees when I eat too much chicken skin (too much omega-6) probably. You've only mentioned breakfast here, so perhaps the problem is coming from somewhere else in your day.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Hmmm, I have increased my chicken lately. I hadn't thought of that. I take fermented cod liver oil, but maybe not enough to balance the ratio. Thanks.

My Journal