Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we bring back the practice of dueling? page

BestBetter is offline Senior Member

Should we bring back the practice of dueling?

Primal Fuel
    I've been thinking this for a while. People would think twice about being assholes if they knew they'd likely be challenged to one, especially if it was a major disgrace not to accept if someone challenged (as it was in the past).

Nowadays, there are zero consequences for acting like a jerk. I'm all for communication, but some people just don't respond to words; they require action.

Thoughts?

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I've been thinking this for a while. People would think twice about being assholes if they knew they'd likely be challenged to one, especially if it was a major disgrace not to accept if someone challenged (as it was in the past).

Nowadays, there are zero consequences for acting like a jerk. I'm all for communication, but some people just don't respond to words; they require action.

Thoughts?
    Agree, too bad not everyone else will.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    So...you want to have a grown-ups version of spankings?

Grok is offline Senior Member
    When people have to rely on family, community and church for welfare instead of the government, then they will stop acting like assholes.

If you have duels then people with the best shot will become the assholes.

The best solution is to have competing free market dispute resolution systems that do not involve any violence whatsoever, that means getting rid of our current government operated court systems which is a monopoly based on force.
    Last edited by Grok; 11-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    When people have to rely on family, community and church for welfare instead of the government, then they will stop acting like assholes.

The best solution is to have competing free market dispute resolution systems that do not involve any violence whatsoever, that means getting rid of our current government operated court systems which is a monopoly based on force.
    Oh my goodness. Grok, you could turn a discussion about toenail fungus into a libertarian soapbox speech. You are too much, buddy.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    if i had to choose what to watch (as i am a lady and immune to duels and other undelicate activities) i would pick gladiatorial matches over duels
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    if i had to choose what to watch (as i am a lady and immune to duels and other undelicate activities) i would pick gladiatorial matches over duels
    Maybe that will fix our feminization of males problem.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i'm pretty sure this 'feminization' is due to food
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    You could argue, though, that at least this way they earned the right to be assholes.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Oh my goodness. Grok, you could turn a discussion about toenail fungus into a libertarian soapbox speech. You are too much, buddy.
    Well, when you know you're right, you should preach it whenever you can, imo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast