Thread: Purpose of restoring glycogen post workout? page

bdub92 is offline Junior Member

Purpose of restoring glycogen post workout?

Shop Now
    I understand the idea behind using carbohydrates to fuel workouts, what I don't understand, however, is the necessity of restoring glycogen with carbohydrates post workout. If I plan on having a relaxed evening after a long hard workout, then why bother restoring the glycogen in a hurry?

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    I think you just answered your own question...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Muscles take up glucose much more readily after activity. That helps them fuel the next workout.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bdub92 is offline Junior Member
    yes but what if I am not in need of more glucose untill the day after? Wouldn't it be the same to let the glycogen restore at a slower rate as long as I was fueled for my next workout?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I don't use glucose to fuel workouts and find I do fine working out in a fasted state (up to 18 hrs without carbs) - however, eating glucose post-work-out works wonders for me.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by bdub92 View Post
    I understand the idea behind using carbohydrates to fuel workouts, what I don't understand, however, is the necessity of restoring glycogen with carbohydrates post workout. If I plan on having a relaxed evening after a long hard workout, then why bother restoring the glycogen in a hurry?
    Because if you don't your body is stressed to use fat. It's good if you want to lose fat, not good if you want to gain muscle.