Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: A nut free, flour free, grain free, sugar free pancake recipe that works!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,842

    A nut free, flour free, grain free, sugar free pancake recipe that works!

    I've never been one much for pancakes either way, but this one just uses pumpkin, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, butter or coconut oil, and baking soda.

    She says to use a bit of coconut flour if you are using fresh/strained, but I'm going to just go with it (we can't find canned pumpkin here).

    Anyway here is the link.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    138
    We don't have canned pumpkin in Australia either. But the book somewhere says how long to strain cooked pumpkin to get the same density/thickness. I wonder if sweet potato/kumara could be used. It tends to be a bit drier than pumpkin and you probably wouldn't need the coconut flour. Just thinking.

    I've bought Practical Paleo as an e-book but have just bought the hard copy as I want to be able to hold it in my hands. There are many great recipes in it that I want to try. I've already made a couple and they went down well.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

    The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

  3. #3
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Sweet potatoes make great pancakes. So do mashed parsnips. Never tried pumpkin but butternut squash works well. Basically any semi starch veg will work.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    547
    Bananas are also an option if you don't have any pumpkin.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Bananas are also an option if you don't have any pumpkin.
    Truly. One egg and one banana per person, mashed and mixed. Add a splash of vanilla essence and either fry as pancakes in ghee or bake as muffins.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Truly. One egg and one banana per person, mashed and mixed. Add a splash of vanilla essence and either fry as pancakes in ghee or bake as muffins.
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

    As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

    I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

    As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

    I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.
    Yeah, they have far less structural integrity as pancakes. We now cook them as muffins.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

    As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

    I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.
    I often make pancakes for weekend brunch using 2 or 3 eggs per banana depending on the size of the eggs / banana.
    I find they hold together much better with a higher egg:nana, also good with some blueberries thrown in and topped off with full fat greek yoghurt and some bacon
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I often make pancakes for weekend brunch using 2 or 3 eggs per banana depending on the size of the eggs / banana.
    I find they hold together much better with a higher egg:nana, also good with some blueberries thrown in and topped off with full fat greek yoghurt and some bacon
    Thankyou, Misabi! Today I made it with 1 egg, 1/2 banana, 1T cocoa. Much better!!! Held together well, tasted less sweet. This amount made one large waffle for my lunch.

    Now to work on the toppings. Butter was ok, but I'm thinking berries and cream would be even better.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    280
    I've got a purty picture of pumpkin pancakes on my journal

    They're thick and turned out great!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •