Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A nut free, flour free, grain free, sugar free pancake recipe that works! page

zoebird is offline Senior Member

A nut free, flour free, grain free, sugar free pancake recipe that works!

Primal Fuel
    I've never been one much for pancakes either way, but this one just uses pumpkin, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, butter or coconut oil, and baking soda.

She says to use a bit of coconut flour if you are using fresh/strained, but I'm going to just go with it (we can't find canned pumpkin here).

Anyway here is the link.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    We don't have canned pumpkin in Australia either. But the book somewhere says how long to strain cooked pumpkin to get the same density/thickness. I wonder if sweet potato/kumara could be used. It tends to be a bit drier than pumpkin and you probably wouldn't need the coconut flour. Just thinking.

I've bought Practical Paleo as an e-book but have just bought the hard copy as I want to be able to hold it in my hands. There are many great recipes in it that I want to try. I've already made a couple and they went down well.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Paleobird Guest
    Sweet potatoes make great pancakes. So do mashed parsnips. Never tried pumpkin but butternut squash works well. Basically any semi starch veg will work.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are also an option if you don't have any pumpkin.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Bananas are also an option if you don't have any pumpkin.
    Truly. One egg and one banana per person, mashed and mixed. Add a splash of vanilla essence and either fry as pancakes in ghee or bake as muffins.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I've got a purty picture of pumpkin pancakes on my journal

They're thick and turned out great!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Truly. One egg and one banana per person, mashed and mixed. Add a splash of vanilla essence and either fry as pancakes in ghee or bake as muffins.
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have found bananas to work well in paleo mug cakes. i have made these with pumpkin and also kumara too. i am sure they would work in the waffle maker like waffles. i usually fudge the recipe but it is essentially about a tbsp or so coconut oil melted. mash in a banana and mix in an egg, a tbsp of cocoa, approx a tbsp or so of coconut flour and some vanilla. then nuke in a mug for a min to a min and a half. you can use almond butter instead of coconut flour. use mashed kumara or pumpkin instead of the banana. throw some baking powder in. put in some coconut milk. maybe even leave out the cocoa to make it more waffly. it is not an exact science at all so experiment and see what works.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have found bananas to work well in paleo mug cakes. i have made these with pumpkin and also kumara too. i am sure they would work in the waffle maker like waffles. i usually fudge the recipe but it is essentially about a tbsp or so coconut oil melted. mash in a banana and mix in an egg, a tbsp of cocoa, approx a tbsp or so of coconut flour and some vanilla. then nuke in a mug for a min to a min and a half. you can use almond butter instead of coconut flour. use mashed kumara or pumpkin instead of the banana. throw some baking powder in. put in some coconut milk. maybe even leave out the cocoa to make it more waffly. it is not an exact science at all so experiment and see what works.
    Actually you've just given me the brilliant idea to add cocoa. I'm sure that will give it the texture I need, and who could argue with chocolate waffles??

I might have asked this before, but where do you get coconut flour?

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i don't make cakes, usually, but we are always looking to diversify what DS has in his lunchbox. Pancakes would work well. I figure I can make sweet and savory ones. We also thought to use kumara.

I'm no big fan on bananas, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast