Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A nut free, flour free, grain free, sugar free pancake recipe that works! page 2

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I might have asked this before, but where do you get coconut flour?
    our organic vege store sells it in kg packets or loose in the bulk section. it is not cheap in the kg packets and it cooks very differently to any other flour i have cooked with. GF or not. i only ever bake with it so i dont get thru that much.

I'm no big fan on bananas, though
    you and me both! the mug cakes are the only thing i cook with them. other than GF banana cake which i have to totally avoid or it is all over lol my kids wont eat cold pancakes as i think it changes the texture and taste too much for them. in fact lunch boxes are a total pain. you could make the mug cakes with say kumara and put them into cup cakes for lunches. the bananas are more for sweetness i think. so you could sub in some honey as well if that is an issue.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.
    Yeah, they have far less structural integrity as pancakes. We now cook them as muffins.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Leida is offline Senior Member
    When you bake them in the muffin cups, what's the oven temperature/bake time and how full do you fill the muffin cup? I want to try it with apple, since my child asked for apple dumplings.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mamaoftwins is offline Junior Member
    Oh. I love anything pumpkin! I just started on this journey and these I'm bookmarking! Ty
    ✼ Mamaoftwins ✼
    Discover Wildlife ~ Raise Twins!
    I live in the land of the giants! Hubby 6'6" Twins 6'5" me 5'4"

Sw ~ 153
    Cw ~ 153
    Gw ~ 130

Mamaoftwins is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i have found bananas to work well in paleo mug cakes. i have made these with pumpkin and also kumara too. i am sure they would work in the waffle maker like waffles. i usually fudge the recipe but it is essentially about a tbsp or so coconut oil melted. mash in a banana and mix in an egg, a tbsp of cocoa, approx a tbsp or so of coconut flour and some vanilla. then nuke in a mug for a min to a min and a half. you can use almond butter instead of coconut flour. use mashed kumara or pumpkin instead of the banana. throw some baking powder in. put in some coconut milk. maybe even leave out the cocoa to make it more waffly. it is not an exact science at all so experiment and see what works.
    This is so quick and easy! Never thought of that! Genius !
    ✼ Mamaoftwins ✼
    Discover Wildlife ~ Raise Twins!
    I live in the land of the giants! Hubby 6'6" Twins 6'5" me 5'4"

Sw ~ 153
    Cw ~ 153
    Gw ~ 130

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate waffle success - sort of.

1 egg, 1 banana, 1T cocoa made two waffles that held together well.

I will make them for my dd and teach her to make them for herself but they are still too sweet for me, especially for breakfast.

If I could find something thicker but with no taste I could halve the banana. Potato?

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Well I tried this today with only medium success.

As written, the pancake just fell apart and made a mess even though I cooked it in the waffle maker to save turning it over. With the addition of a tablespoon of cornflour it worked quite nicely but obviously is not fully primal.

I have done it with ground linseed/sunflower/almond but that didn't work either. I really want to persevere with this concept, maybe will try pumpkin next.
    I often make pancakes for weekend brunch using 2 or 3 eggs per banana depending on the size of the eggs / banana.
    I find they hold together much better with a higher egg:nana, also good with some blueberries thrown in and topped off with full fat greek yoghurt and some bacon
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Catrin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I've never been one much for pancakes either way, but this one just uses pumpkin, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, butter or coconut oil, and baking soda.

She says to use a bit of coconut flour if you are using fresh/strained, but I'm going to just go with it (we can't find canned pumpkin here).

Anyway here is the link.
    This is a good recipe, I tried it recently. I like this better than "real" pancakes. It does seem that people have different results with this recipe though, it's worked fine for me the two times I've made it...
    Last edited by Catrin; 11-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I often make pancakes for weekend brunch using 2 or 3 eggs per banana depending on the size of the eggs / banana.
    I find they hold together much better with a higher egg:nana, also good with some blueberries thrown in and topped off with full fat greek yoghurt and some bacon
    Thankyou, Misabi! Today I made it with 1 egg, 1/2 banana, 1T cocoa. Much better!!! Held together well, tasted less sweet. This amount made one large waffle for my lunch.

Now to work on the toppings. Butter was ok, but I'm thinking berries and cream would be even better.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    When you bake them in the muffin cups, what's the oven temperature/bake time and how full do you fill the muffin cup? I want to try it with apple, since my child asked for apple dumplings.
    Sorry, I only just saw this now.

I bake them at a normal muffin temperature (180C), for about 13 minutes. The Muffin cups are nearly full, maybe 1-2 mm (about 1/8in) below the rim?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast