Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Little's new Max Pyramid Protocol page

Vick is offline Senior Member

John Little's new Max Pyramid Protocol

Shop Now
    John Little has posted his new protocol. I've got about 4 weeks left on my present protocol then I'll be giving it a try.

This link gives an overview with links to youtube.

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/

This gives a good written description on the big 3 and how to apply it.

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/?page_id=798

I've been looking for something new because I'm one plate away from maxing out the leg press equipment. This will allow me to go low and start again.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little confused on how many of these exercises they're advocating and frequency.

I'm going to start next week. The actual program is the big 3. Pulldown, shoulder press, and leg press. I'll alternate the shoulder press and chest press every other week. I'm expecting about 7 steps for each exercise. I'll do this once a week. This will cover muscle growth. The rest of the week will be devoted to sypnatic faciliation for improving life skill strength.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Hey

I wanted to mail you b/c I couldn't remember the set up of john littles max pyramid protocol. My wife and I are expecting and time will be a little on the short side but that shouldn't mean my training is any less effective.

With that in mind can you remind me how many sessions the max pyramid protocol should be a week? Also, I know its supposed to be shoulder press leg press and pull down, but is there wiggle room there eg shoulder press swap for chest press every second session?

How did you get on with it?

Thanks

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Hi Richard;

I've been out of town and not checked a computer for a week. (It was great).

I did one session a week. I went to fatigue. I followed the protocol, of leg press, overhead press and pulldown. I also modified it to alternate upper body, by doing the overhead press and shouilder press one week and the row and chest press the next week. The hardest part with the method is recording the gains in a way that make sense.

The amazing thing is how little weight is required because you are such a leverage disadvantage. it means there is very little stress on the joints.

Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Hi Richard;

I've been out of town and not checked a computer for a week. (It was great).

I did one session a week. I went to fatigue. I followed the protocol, of leg press, overhead press and pulldown. I also modified it to alternate upper body, by doing the overhead press and shouilder press one week and the row and chest press the next week. The hardest part with the method is recording the gains in a way that make sense.

The amazing thing is how little weight is required because you are such a leverage disadvantage. it means there is very little stress on the joints.
    Thanks Vick

Are you still using it? What results have you seen?

I noticed from the vids that they also sometimes used bi/tri work (not something I find too important but interesting none the less).
    I was thinking of trying to two sessions a week

Wednesday
    Chest press, pulldown, leg press

Saturday
    Shoulder press, row, one leg squat.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Richard...if you are the type of person that needs to work out more than once a week... don't even attempt this. I went back into my notes and found I stretched the leg press to once every 4 weeks to get my best results.

I have had the privilege of meeting John Little at his club in Bracebridge ON. If you were a new client you would sit in a Bodpod then go through a routine similar to the BBS big 5. You now return once a day and sit in a Bodpod. The Bodpod then measures on a daily basis the breakdown of muscle tissue, the growth of muscle tissue then the point of no further growth.

80% of his clients return in 7 days. He has one client that works out every 27 days. This is how he determines your workout cycle.

No routine had me close to puking, or left me totally immobilized as this one. If you want to train to failure... then rest for a minimum of 1 week... then this is the routine.

The negative side to this routine is if you are a numbers geek... it is tough. A slight adjustment to your position can increase the leverage and improve the numbers.
    This is more natural in the respect that your goal isn't to measure improvement... this is about beating yourself up and then giving yourself plenty of time to heal. Where this routine is leading edge is that you are not beating up your joints to get stronger... just the muscles.

Vick

Wow thanks for that great reply Vick.

I have been using some grease the groove movements so you will have to forgive me if my mind set (rightly or wrongly) is in a higher frequency mode. Training once a week is something I will have to get used to but I am willing to for the results I am after. Its great that so many of his clients followed the same system and knew to rest.

I tried this using weighted pressups (loaded by a partner), I have never shook so much in my life!!

Is it ok to try movements out as opposed to sticking with certain movements eg using upright row instead of shoulder press?!

Are you still using this program/what were your results?

Is it ok to do something along side this eg some interval cycling/rowing? The cycling is a commute to work, during which I do interval work or a time trial.

Thanks

Richard

"I have been using some grease the groove movements so you will have to forgive me if my mind set (rightly or wrongly) is in a higher frequency mode. Training once a week is something I will have to get used to but I am willing to for the results I am after. Its great that so many of his clients followed the same system and knew to rest."

They had no choice. The Bodpod shows each trainee their own recuperation cycle. Who is going to argue?

"Is it ok to try movements out as opposed to sticking with certain movements eg using upright row instead of shoulder press?"

The key to the exercise, is the static hold at the max moment which is your weakest point due to leverage. I would experiment with anything that makes sense to see what gains I get.

"Are you still using this program/what were your results?

Is it ok to do something along side this eg some interval cycling/rowing? The cycling is a commute to work, during which I do interval work or a time trial."

No, I have not used it for about a year. The results were great because it showed you can reduce time in the gym and gain strength... however, because I think it is important to add a sprinting type exercise into the mix at this time I am experimenting with training "not to failure".

I'm not convinced you want to train to failure then cycle, sprint, or swim to failure too. Max pyramid in my mind is an off season training system to get you stronger with short trips to the gym. You then would do skill set training at a low intensity focussing on mechanics.

My findings show that all resistance training works. What is important is you find a program you love and it keeps you coming back.

bikeanyok is offline Junior Member
    What is important is you find a program you love and it keeps you coming back. yes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast