Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small ladies and carbohydrate amounts page

Meghanner is offline Senior Member

Small ladies and carbohydrate amounts

Primal Fuel
    This is a question/poll for all the ladies under 5'6" and with no weight to lose.

I've recently attained a body composition that I'm really happy with by eating primal (I'd been doing this for the past 2 years) and reducing my carbs to 50g ish/day (this is what I changed). Now I'm where I want to be, I feel like my body is running low on energy and I think for maintenance I should start upping my calories and carbohydrates into a higher range. I know MDA suggests 100-150g/day for maintenance but, 150g for a 160lbs guy taking in 2500cals/day and 150g for a 107lbs woman taking in 1500/day are different.

What do you ladies find to be your maintenance sweet spot for optimal nutrition and energy?

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    It really depends on your activity level too. I'm mid thirties, 5' 3" and fairly active and seem to be maintaining well with approx. 1500 calories and 100g. carbs a day.

JayGee is offline Member
    I don't regularly count, but last time I tallied up my carbs they were around 150-200g/day. I am 45 years old, 5'2"ish and maintaining at 118-120.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    It really depends on your activity level too. I'm mid thirties, 5' 3" and fairly active and seem to be maintaining well with approx. 1500 calories and 100g. carbs a day.
    I think you'd call me rather active. TRX/ HIIT a few times a week and run/interval/sprint 45-60mins 5xwk

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm a lady in my early 30's who is about 115lbs. Eating low carb for too long was a major health disaster for me, and I'm trying to reverse the problems it caused by eating high carb/lower fat, which so far seems to be working. I'm also one of the *lucky* ones who gains fat eating high fat/low carb, so I gained weight when I followed Mark's Primal BP.

That said, I think carb levels are really individualistic, and you kinda got to just find what works for you, whether it's higher or lower levels.

I eat a pretty high carb diet, but I'm very careful to stick with healthy starches and gluten-free carbs like tubers, white rice, molasses/honey/maple syrup/organic sugar, and lots of fruit. I eat carbs with every meal, I lowered my fat to balance it out, and doing this I've been able to lose most of the fat I gained by eating primal, my strength has improved, and my overall health is significantly better. I don't count my carbs, but I estimate they are probably somewhere around 200-300 grams, depending on the day.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Late 20s, 5'4, 106. I don't count calories or track carbs, but the last time I did, it was around 100-150g range.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this great question.

I am 48, 5'4". Trying to find my sweet spot to maintain 59kg but still dropping gradually. I'm not sure of my carbohydrate count.

I still keep carbs very low at breakfast (just what's in a few veges and a little milk). Otherwise I get whatever is in my veges, potatoes, sweet potatoes, bananas, other fruit, milk and cheese.

I think 100g or even 150g would be safe enough, or maybe more on an exercise day, but I'm reluctant to go too high because I don't want to bring back the cravings and shakes. At the moment I am working to increase fat for the calories and to stop losing weight.

I do have plenty of energy.

Could your lack of energy be related to too much exercise?

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm upping my carbs to 90-120g and going to see how that goes, just don't want to neglect the fat but that's not usually a problem cause pork chop and steak fat are delicious

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm upping my carbs to 90-120g and going to see how that goes, just don't want to neglect the fat but that's not usually a problem cause pork chop and steak fat are delicious
    Sounds like a good plan. Personally, I believe VLC diet to be a great jump start to weight loss and a great tool for managing apetite and for getting rid of sugar cravings. However, unless there is a health issue that requires it, there's no benefit from being in ketosis long term IMO. Especially when the goal is to just maintain current weight.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'3" and 47 years old. Low carb got the weight off but I haven't been able to go any lower than I am now with any kind of macro ratio. So I no longer worry about it to no ill-effects at all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast