Thread: Boxing And Weights page

streety100 is offline Junior Member

Boxing And Weights

Hi all

My first post here. Glad to be around people of the same mindset!

I have a question. I want to start up boxing again. I used to box once a week and really enjoyed it. I am moving shortly to a new area and their is a boxing gym two minutes away which I intend on signing up to.

Ideally I'd like to have a physique like Floyd Mayweather below (boxer with his top off)

50 Cent confirms beef with Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I want to have fairly big arms but be lean as well. I've always wanted to get "big" but realise that it might not be easy if I follow the primal way of living. So instead I'd like to be healthy. Think that's far more important after reading Marks book.

My question is how can I incorporate weights with boxing to add some muscle and still be primal? Or is it a case of if I box too much I won't have any chance of putting on muscle?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Shane. is offline Junior Member
    The reason alot of boxers don't seem to focus on bulking up is because the extra mass can slow them down. They're are some big guys none the less and if you set your training out correctly you can add mass while being paleo. I'd personally look at kettle bell training for boxing it's all about explosive movement which really does translate into striking focused combat sports.

getting "big" requires lifting heavy weights and eating a caloric surplus. so do that and limit the boxing (or any other cardio) to 1-2 times per week if you want to put on mass. gaining muscle is not difficult to do while eating primal or paleo. primal/paleo is not a low carb or low calorie diet. lift weights and eat if you want to grow.

most competitive boxers/fighters don't want to add mass because they want to stay as light as possible to stay in the lowest weight class possible. they want to be strong, but not big. different training techniques. different dietary principals.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    A boxer's goal isn't bulk. This is true.
    If you're simply using boxing type workouts as a form of cardio, and not competing, then adding mass for the sake of appearance would be o.k. if that's what you want to do.
    But don't kid yourself. You won't be the best boxer that you can be with lots of unecessary mass on you.
    You may hit hard, but you won't hit hard for long, and the extra mass will make you use up your oxygen at a fast rate, leaving you drained.
    That being said, boxing is a great alternative for cardio. It's fun, and you won't get bored. You'll work your body aerobically and anaerobically.
    Personally, I use weights and bodyweight movements in my workouts. There's benefits in both methods.
    Also, sprints (especially hill sprints) are a great conditioner for boxing.
    You'll learn a lot if the boxing gym that you mentioned is a good one.
    Good luck.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    While "unnecessary" mass can slow you down, the amount of mass that you can put on and use effectively is pretty high. Adding muscle is about lifting heavy, eating a lot (more than just "a surplus," you need to stuff yourself to add muscle in a speedy manner), and rest and recovery.

The question becomes how to balance your lifting and your boxing. If your boxing training includes long cardio workouts, it'll be hard to keep eating enough to add mass on top of that. How well can you box if you're lifting 3 times a week? Twice a week?

I would recommend building muscle, especially in your legs and hips and core, as that is where your power comes from when punching.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I would recommend building muscle, especially in your legs and hips and core, as that is where your power comes from when punching.
    I agree.
    Sprints are another good way to work your legs, as well as helping with keeping fat down.

streety100 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys I'm not looking to box competitively. It's more because I enjoy the workout. But at the same time I'm concerned I'll become a weedy guy if I box too much and eat primal

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Lifting and eating big have helped me put on about 17 pounds from my lowest weight. I was scrawny, then started lifting and eating decently. Now I'm just slim and strong. Eating and lifting my way up to a little bit bigger, and really strong. Too much cardio holds me back, and it's pretty obvious.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by streety100 View Post
    Thanks guys I'm not looking to box competitively. It's more because I enjoy the workout. But at the same time I'm concerned I'll become a weedy guy if I box too much and eat primal
    eating primal has nothing to do with becoming "weedy." just eat food. and eat enough of it. you don't have to lose weight by cutting out processed crap. there are a ton of us on this site who eat paleo/primal for optimal health, not to lose weight. and a ton of us who are probably more active than you are. and i don't think any of us are "weedy."