Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Absorbing Protein page

drnemer is offline Member

Absorbing Protein

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think supposedly no more than 50 grams is absorbed. I am not quite sure but I learned that extra protein generally is turned into sugar via gluconeogenesis. Excess sugar of course is either burned or stored as fat.

When following Leangains or just eating a after workout meal I tend to get about 100 grams of protein. Typically i have made a meal of two servings of Whey Protein (40 grams) and then I might couple it with a meal because of convenience.

With Leangains there is the window where I have to fit in my calories, while it is not too restrictive to fit in a day's calories in 8 hour window, it forces one to have larger meals therefore more protein.

Typically along with my protein shake, i might have a omelet or a nice juicy half pound burger patty which is like (50 grams of protein).

That is just an example. But I don't doubt that i might consume nearly 100 grams a protein in a meal. I restrict carbs so I rely more on protein and fats.

I am pretty fit. I have lower body fat already from workout out and proper nutrition. However I am concerned if I could be sabotaging my efforts by having too much protein at a time.

Is 50 grams the limit?

Would waiting an hour after a after workout meal to have a protein shake help with protein absorption?

I definitely believe now that I should stop using two servings of protein powder at a time. That is my take away, but could one argue that refilling after a workout might allow one to absorb more protein than usual?

What do you think about Gluconeogenesis?

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    ALL protein is absorbed. Just not all at once. You absorb about 7g per hour. Your body will slow down transit time to absorb it all.

You can make 170g of glucose through gluceoneogenesis a day. Hope those numbers are right, someone correct me if wrong.

Leangains or even the Warrior Diet will not cause protein to go to waste. The thing is if you eat in a 4-8 hour window, throughout the fasted period your body will absorb it all so by the next eating window it can absorb more, 16 hours is more than enough time to absorb all protein by the next meal.
    Last edited by Loneketo; 11-10-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loneketo View Post
    ALL protein is absorbed. Just not all at once. You absorb about 7g per hour.
    Go on

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Just from my own body comp changes, I'm inclined to agree. If half my protein turned to sugar, I'd be having some real trouble - which I'm not. If I overeat, it just turns into muscle, not fat, and I get no sugar buzz or crash. But that's just my own subjective experience, no science here.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I have type 1 diabetes and use an insulin pump. Last night over the course of 2 hours I ate about 70 grams of protein. Previous to my night time meal I hadn't eaten for 9 hours. I counted my carbs and gave insulin accordingly but I woke up 3x in the night to check my sugar and needed extra insulin. That tells me that the excess protein I ate was turned into glucose.

I'm sure that everybody is a little different though and the fact that I have type 1 diabetes could also play a part in how I metabolize food.

otzi Guest

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    I have type 1 diabetes and use an insulin pump. Last night over the course of 2 hours I ate about 70 grams of protein. Previous to my night time meal I hadn't eaten for 9 hours. I counted my carbs and gave insulin accordingly but I woke up 3x in the night to check my sugar and needed extra insulin. That tells me that the excess protein I ate was turned into glucose.
    Actually, that glucose did not come from gluconeogenesis, but rather, it came from the glucagon that your pancreas secreted about 3 hours after your meal. I get into the details on my blog here, but the lowdown is that in non-diabetics, all mixed meals with the exception of high carbohydrate meals, follow a pattern of insulin secretion followed by glucagon secretion.

Now, as you know, protein is highly insulinogenic which means that it normally comes with an attendant, delayed, large pulse of glucagon. Since you are exogenously administering insulin, you need to account for this glucagon response yourself, hence your need to administer the extra insulin.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    Actually, that glucose did not come from gluconeogenesis, but rather, it came from the glucagon that your pancreas secreted about 3 hours after your meal. I get into the details on my blog here, but the lowdown is that in non-diabetics, all mixed meals with the exception of high carbohydrate meals, follow a pattern of insulin secretion followed by glucagon secretion.

Now, as you know, protein is highly insulinogenic which means that it normally comes with an attendant, delayed, large pulse of glucagon. Since you are exogenously administering insulin, you need to account for this glucagon response yourself, hence your need to administer the extra insulin.

-PK
    So the glucagon reponse only happens with protein? And the reason I needed so much extra through the night is because I ate more protein than I usually do in that time frame?

I have so many questions about how my body works as somebody with type 1 diabetes...

Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post

-PK
    Nice blog. I added it to my bookmarks. So from what I understand glucagon from the protein I eat is benefiting my burning of fat and building of muscle? It won't raise my insulin.

Is some of the protein going to waste because I had a large intake in one time?

Timthetaco Guest
    I was reading a review paper about protein the other day. If you're into the whole science thing: From 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast