Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spartan Health Regime page

Rendar is offline Junior Member

Spartan Health Regime

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I actually came to PB from something called the Spartan Health Regime (SHR)

SHR in the simplest terms I can put it is a diet as follows.

All Fruit till dinner, then for dinner have a huge piece of protein topped with fat. Exercise was short session of Heavy weight lifting, and lots of roadwork (hiking or "power walking" with a weighted backpack)

I actually lost alot of weight, put on muscle, and got alot healthier. So I was surprised reading PB when it said to lower my carb (and therefor fruit) intake to 100g a day. I was eat more carbs from fruit by mid morning on the SHR.

So my question is, how bad was SHR really? I know its 2 different schools of thought, and I really want to try out PB. Are they just 2 different paths to the same goal, or is SHR flawed for long term success.

Also Im really interested in the Primal Leap package coming out, since it focuses on more on the weight loss.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    SHR sounds like a short route to diabetes and heart disease from all that fructose and insulin spiking.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Fasting (at least partially) until dinner: good.

Lots of fruit: Not fantastic, but it could be worse. Over a long time, it might have damaged your liver.

Huge piece of meat with fat: very good!

Short, intense weight lifting: very good!

Roadwork: as long as it was hiking and carrying, it's pretty much in the good category, although excessive exertion under load could be bad.

I'm not surprised you leaned out and felt good. It sounds like a pretty solid plan. It wasn't necessarily optimal because of the amount of fruit, but it's actually pretty close to what many recommend. I would mostly adjust the fasting, personally. Dinner to dinner complete fasts 2x/wk and 2 meals a day otherwise would be my recommendation, but it's a bit nitpicky to make a big deal out of something like that.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

The Fruit till dinner was kind of a grazing mentality.

Wake up and have a mango and a banana, then ever 1.5-2 hours you would eat a single piece of fruit.

So it ends up being alot. Around 180g of carbs a day just from the fruit. But maybe thats why they suggested alot of roadwork each night.

Would still love to hear some more thoughts on this if possible.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    SHR sounds like a short route to diabetes and heart disease from all that fructose and insulin spiking.

Oh please.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    One of the few things I disagree with Mark on is his emphasis on low carb. It needlessly demonizes roots, tubers, gourds, squashes, fruits, etc., all of which our ancestors would have consumed, if only in small quantities.

Fructose in particular is high in the running for the Nutrient of Death 2010 award. Unfortunately, it looks as though nutritionism has hoodwinked us again into making faulty dietary choices based primarily on macronutrient content. While processed foods high in fructose appear to lead to metabolic syndrome, fruits which naturally contain fructose don't seem to do the same. When it comes to fructose (as with all nutrients), context and amount are crucial.

Personally, I don't eat a whole lot of fruit (usually have some for dessert, and sometimes breakfast as well). But my understanding of the "average" ancestral human diet is that is contained lots of meat and vegetables, with some fruit, nuts, seeds, and eggs when they were available. But the "standard deviation" varied wildly, so it wouldn't surprise me if some of our ancestors ate a lot of fruit (if only during their brief season). So SHR looks A-OK in my eyes!
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Freedish is offline Senior Member
    That sounds really interesting... I've always wondered what diet spartans ate, they were known to be the toughest most disciplined warriors of any culture. I wonder if their diet has anything to do with that?

Also I've been thinking...if animal fat and meat tastes amazing and is also healthy then maybe fruit which tastes great too is also healthy. It certainly would have been attainable for Grok and I doubt he would skimp out on some fruit because he's watching his carb intake.

Im not sure the spartan name is derived from actual historic foods spartans ate, so much a name to sound cool and ride of the 300 glory.

However almost all the creators research is from Weston Price Foundation.

I tend to agree about the fruit consumption. Atleast in my case I can definitely tell the difference from the natural fructose in an apple, compared to the same amount in kool-aid for example.

Is there any research to back up the sugar in fruit creating the same type of insulin spikes that PB teaches you to avoid like the devil?

Regardless SHR worked really well for me in the past, Ive implemented alot of PB into it as well. Im just got worried by all these talks about im going to give myself diabetes and destroy my liver.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedish View Post
    I've always wondered what diet spartans ate, they were known to be the toughest most disciplined warriors of any culture. I wonder if their diet has anything to do with that?.
    It was their "training". Actually, to call it training is a kind of understatement. It's was matter of their upbringing. If you were put in a kind of military camp since the age of seven and systematically trained to be a killer, you'd be fairly tough and disciplined, too. (Note the, probably conscious, parallel in the 19th century English prep school/public school system, with its boarding and cold baths. That'll give you a class to administer an Empire - although it also produced a surprisingly incorruptible and fair one, the difference, I suppose, being the Christian influence.)

And, of course, there were no competing notions of how you should behave in any particular situation in that society

Another [Spartan mother], as she handed her son his shield, exhorted him, saying, "Either this or upon this."
    http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...an_Women*.html

IOW, bring it back from the war, having triumphed, or be brought back dead on it. Compare that with a more individualistic society where there's a tendency for young men to get pulled in different directions. As Plato has it in the Republic:

"Then," I said, "he also lives along day by day, gratifying the desire that occurs to him, at one time drinking and listening to the flute, at another downing water and reducing; now practicing gymnastic, and again idling and neglecting everything; and sometimes spending his time as though he were occupied with philosophy.
    As for food, the boys deliberately weren't given enough to eat. They were meant, from necessity, to learn how to steal food.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast