Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dr Oz Smack-down page 3

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013 at 08:43 PM.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You know what book I was surprised by (since he gets the same attention as Taubes from the bodybuilder blog community) is Lustig's book "Fat Chance". I speed read (skimmed?) it at the book store. Very moderate (and not really paleo) approach compared to his biochem lecture. I even venture to say that if the people that TOTALLY hated his sugar lecture read his book they wouldn't even find much to disagree with.
    Was it good? I downloaded the free sample on my kindle to check it out but I haven't yet...

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    You know what book I was surprised by (since he gets the same attention as Taubes from the bodybuilder blog community) is Lustig's book "Fat Chance". I speed read (skimmed?) it at the book store. Very moderate (and not really paleo) approach compared to his biochem lecture. I even venture to say that if the people that TOTALLY hated his sugar lecture read his book they wouldn't even find much to disagree with.
    Interesting. To be honest, I think there was a lot to hate about his lecture. But I may check out the book, I'm always interested in the other side so to speak.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachgirl View Post
    Oz should get off TV and do what he does best, cardio surgery.
    Perhaps he's better doing at TV than doing surgery.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Perhaps he's better doing at TV than doing surgery.
    It probably pays better at any rate.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    Was it good? I downloaded the free sample on my kindle to check it out but I haven't yet...
    It was OK... Like I said I just skimmed it. And it was almost 2 months ago. Its not paleo/primal in any way. Actually thats part of what turned me off was the recs for a significant amount of grains (healthy whole grains/ oatmeal and such). So it was very much toeing the CW line in really just being a low refined sugar and low refined flour sort of diet. Hey that really isn't a bad thing, but like I said... not really a plan based on ancestral eating or traditional nutrition.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Lustig's book is NOT meant as a diet book, nor really is much any of the advice he gives. His target audience, as a pediatric endocrinologist, is often VERY sick people. This is the lens he sees everything through....he's not a "this is how to get shredded" guy. He is a "here is how to avoid dying soon" guy If he were to advocate a full paleo, which I doubt he thinks is realistic, patients would not listen to him. I have tried myself and failed big time. It's like training a fish to live out of water.

I have seen him challenged repeatedly on his sugar lecture whereupon he goes through a lot of the biochem involved in starch vs sugar....and I have yet to see anyone disprove, with counter-mechanisms, anything he says. None of that is his invention anyway. He is simply reporting the work of biochemists themselves, and most of it is not that heavily argued anymore. One can take different lessons from it, but the biochem itself is not that debatable. If it were, he wouldn't be the guy to take up on it anyway.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    See this doesn't make much sense to me. I would think the most aggressive nutritive stance would be accepted best by the most sick. I know when I talk to people, its the ones that basically are facing severe consequence that are most open to full on 100% change in their life. They know its now or never and accept it. Those that seem to be getting by with minor issue, even though they know they are no where near optimal, really just let any advice fall on def ears. But, thats neither here or there I suppose. Just an observation of human nature.

EatMoveSleep is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    It probably pays better at any rate.
    That is nearly certain - national and world wide TV syndication is big business.

His job is now TV/Media and he's very popular and therefore successful.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some interesting stuff here regarding the Lustig/fructose debate. It's quite old, but someone just sent me the link and I listened to all of the presentations, and they were all great. Very cool to see these guys debate/present their stance on the sugar/fructose issue. Evolving Health: Sugar Showdown: Science Responds to "Fructophobia"
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123