Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr Oz Smack-down page 2

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've come to completely disregard anything Oz or Taubes say at this point. Not as familiar with Weil.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Greg Rx is offline Senior Member
    So which of his books have you Read? Good Calories, Bad Calories was 700 pages but was very well written and had very little for a paleo person could disagree with.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I was under the impression that Wiel was low carb, rather than CW.

M.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    So which of his books have you Read? Good Calories, Bad Calories was 700 pages but was very well written and had very little for a paleo person could disagree with.
    He probably didn't read it. Most people who criticize Taubes actually never read Taubes and are basing their arguments on fallacious straw man arguments that other people who never read Taubes posted in reviews of his books on Amazon.

pfair143 is offline Member
    Taubes has also written a "Why We Get Fat" which is a less involved, easier to understand version of "Good Calories Bad Calories".
    I watched Oz when Weil was on and OZ was actually telling Weil about the positive effects of coconut oil. Weil said that he had never heard that about coconut oil and that was something he would definitely look into. I was glad to hear Oz promoting something other than pills in a bottle. I was even happier to hear that he was going to have Taubes on. At last, maybe a good platform for supporting something other than SAD. But Oz just sat there when Taubes was on his show, with his mouth hanging open, looking at Taubes like he had lost his mind, shaking his head 'no' the whole time Taubes was talking. He gave the audience a quick review of what Taubes said basically saying not to eat that way because to was too dangerous. I haven't watched Oz since.

A transcript of CNN show w/ Oz, Taubes, Weil if interested:
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...19/lkl.01.html
    Last edited by pfair143; 08-09-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added more info

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I have an old book or two of Weil's...he's always been about natural ways to treat health problems. Now I'm curious how closely it may or may not align with paleo.

Also, thanks for the transcript. The recitation of what everybody ate today and Joy's horror at the soy sausage was funny.
    Last edited by lea; 08-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rx View Post
    In fact, I've read both of his books. GCBC and Why We Get Fat. A buddy of mine (who is full on Paleo) lent me both for a while. Who cares if it's well written? When I say I don't care what Taubes says about anything, I'm referring to his insulin hypothesis (carbohydrates drive insulin which drive fat accumulation).

I would encourage you to read these posts rebutting Taubes' hypotheses:

Whole Health Source: The Carbohydrate Hypothesis of Obesity: a Critical Examination
    Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?
    Good Calories, Bad Calories: A Critical Review (part 1) | The Science of Nutrition
    Insulin…an Undeserved Bad Reputation Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 2 Weightology Weekly
    Insulin: An Undeserved Bad Reputation, Part 3…MOOOOO!!!! Weightology Weekly

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    He probably didn't read it.
    Stop making assumptions.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    When I say I don't care what Taubes says about anything, I'm referring to his insulin hypothesis
    I think whether you agree with the conclusions or not (I think he has something wrong about exercise, I think it has additional benefits for weight loss that may not be showing in whatever studies he looked at), I think the GCBC book was very interesting because of the way it showed how piss poor a great deal of the science was behind the dietary advice that's been given out. That is what I took from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lea View Post
    I think whether you agree with the conclusions or not (I think he has something wrong about exercise, I think it has additional benefits for weight loss that may not be showing in whatever studies he looked at), I think the GCBC book was very interesting because of the way it showed how piss poor a great deal of the science was behind the dietary advice that's been given out. That is what I took from it.
    Sure, but my problem is that Taubes commits the same errors that he accuses others of making (cherry picking).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You know what book I was surprised by (since he gets the same attention as Taubes from the bodybuilder blog community) is Lustig's book "Fat Chance". I speed read (skimmed?) it at the book store. Very moderate (and not really paleo) approach compared to his biochem lecture. I even venture to say that if the people that TOTALLY hated his sugar lecture read his book they wouldn't even find much to disagree with.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast