Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook luddite page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Facebook luddite

Primal Fuel
    I've managed to make it all this time without facebook. Do you think I should join? Is there any way to join and not really be you? I hate the whole nosy big brother aspect of it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I have a friend who has a FB profile that's pretty disconnected from her real-world self. False name, no contact info given, no friending family members or co-workers.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Calibunny is offline Member

Thumbs down

Don't do it. I created an account about 5 years ago, so I could see come pictures a friend posted. Next thing I knew, I was getting all these friend requests, sometimes from people I didn't even know! Now I never log into my FB account, and I am seriously thinking of deleting it. I have NO INTEREST in what all those people are doing, and I dont like the idea of people knowing what I'm doing or where I am, etc.

Facebook seems like a teeny bopper activity. OK I just convinced myself, I'm deleting my account.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    there's no point in trying to maintain anonymity if you're going to join.

if you join, it will take over your life. bwahahahahah... serious waste of hours.

Grok is offline Senior Member
    There is no way I would ever create a FB account.

I do have a Google+ account though.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Far as I can tell Facebook is most egregiously used by women aged 12-30 as an ego masterbator. They post the most inane of bullshit statuses, followed by memes making the rounds within the herd, as well as cute animal youtube clips and feed relentlessly off of the "likes" and the effortless herbivore male attention they get. Throw in smartphones to enable constant attention-whoring even when away from their desktops and the results get interesting.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    There is no way I would ever create a FB account.

I do have a Google+ account though.
    Oh, so you're a Google employee, are you?

But really, with Google's track record on privacy protection, I don't think there's much difference except for the number of users.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I actually use FB for two reasons : to watch all my cousins' kids grow up (we're all scattered across the country), and to get personal training advice from reknown powerlifting coaches (also far away).

But, whatever. It is what you make it.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I don't do nuthin' - no Facebook, no Twitter, no blog, no thousands of photos up on the internet, no whatever else there is out there... except for the MDA, and even here I have no pics. I actually just started emailing a few months ago for the very first time, too, but only a handful of relatives have that info, and they are the ones I actually like enough to have over for a stay.

I know the computer conferences hubby goes to say that privacy is long dead, but I don't intend to make it easy for John Q. Public. And I guess I just don't get the thing where your whole life has to be up on some photonic version of a big screen for the enjoyment of the world.

If you had a clear "purpose" for being there, like Miscellangela and powerlifting, strong maybe. Otherwise - nah.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't have a FB account either, and really don't plan to do so, though at times I briefly consider it. No interest in posting personal or family photos there, or keeping updates. I know my mom and probably everyone else in the family is on, but I know how to contact them if I want to. Or have photos to share.

What annoys me is how so many businesses put their stuff on FB, like specials and promotions and so on, and you have to be a FB member to access their information. WTF? Seriously?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast