Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Why so many fad diets on the forum lately?

Primal Fuel
    Seriously, just do the program. Do the WHOLE program. Include the fitness portion, the play, the sleep, the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap. If you really truly are having trouble, cut the wine, cheese, nuts, smoothies and chocolate and make sure you really are eating MEAT, VEGETABLES and not avoiding FAT. And eat your freakin' liver and oysters for crying out loud.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    For reals.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    boredom.

plain and simple....

hell how many ways can you say "eat real food" and keep the conversation going?

fad diets are sexy and spend money

so

eat moar mars bars

uhm

well
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    I think it's because for many, Paleo itself is a Fad diet. Yes, even people on Paleo. (Possibly even me.)

Really, a FAD diet is simply a diet that gets really popular for a while and then fades away to a much smaller base. It doesn't mean the diet is bad or that it doesn't work, it's simply means it's less popular. In that sense, for all we know Paleo or Primal could be a FAD diet from a broader perspective.

We all know a LOT of the people on these forums won't be practicing Paleo in a year or two or 5. It's just the way the world works. For them, it is a FAD diet (though not consciously), so the chance to try a FAD diet within Paleo is something that excites them and keeps them motivated. Sadly, the need to keep their diets new and exciting and different will eventually lead to the inevitable return to the SAD for many.

It's not a knock on Paleo at all, it's a knock on humans. For whatever reason, whether it's Paleo or low-fat or low carb...the failure rate will be high and really, the failure rate is what makes a diet a "fad" or not.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    people still want a "quick-fix". Though I was always under the impression primal isn't a quick fix, but rather a rather painless way to get to where you want to be. Wherever that may be, and however long it may take. Along the way, where you want to be may also change. That is why I love Primal so much.

Just stick to the program. Seriously.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Because people are always looking for the next panacea, and refuse to admit panaceas don't exist.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    i used to eat panaceas for breakfast with bacon and sausage and maple syrup
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Kvalhion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I think it's because for many, Paleo itself is a Fad diet. Yes, even people on Paleo. (Possibly even me.)
    I think a lot of diets are converging on the basic principles of eat clean and get rid of the processed crap. For a long time, you had extreme diets that were advocating all sorts of strange things. Lately, however, the basic principles of eating clean and avoiding processed crap, sugar, grains, etc is getting more popular. There's still a lot of different names out there, but if anything this type of lifestyle is getting more popular rather than less popular.

I very much disagree that people who have been following Paleo or Primal for a while will suddenly go back to the SAD diet. Knowledge is a huge factor in this diet and you can't simply forget why processed crap foods are bad and how they make you feel. If anything, each time I eat something off plan, it just firms my resolve that I need to eat clean. I don't consider it a diet, it's just the way I eat now. I am not perfect, but there is just no way I go back to eating chips, bread, fried foods, cereal, burritos, etc that made me obese for twenty years.

Not everyone will be the same, but I lost 80 pounds in a year following paleo/primal and have kept it off for over a year. If anything, I am following it now more than ever as I am about 90/10 in my eating and am doing crossfit 5x per week.

It's cool to try new things, but eating clean and eliminating processed crap foods is a lifestyle. It's not a fad diet.
    5-24-10 ................ 5-24-11
    Weight: 281.......... Weight: 203

10-11-10
    Weight: 259
    Total Cholesterol: 243
    LDL: 188
    HDL: 40
    Trig: 96

2-18-11
    Weight: 228
    Total Cholesterol: 239
    LDL: 183 (calc), 138 (actual)
    HDL: 46
    Trig: 49

6-23-11
    Weight: 197.2
    Total Cholesterol: 225
    LDL: 161 (calc), 120 (actual)
    HDL: 56
    Trig: 38

I think the next big thing will be fad combos. Take one fad from column A and one from column B, and voila!

And so I embarked upon my quest to eat nothing but potatoes for three straight years... and supplement with iodine!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Seriously, just do the program. Do the WHOLE program. Include the fitness portion, the play, the sleep, the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap. If you really truly are having trouble, cut the wine, cheese, nuts, smoothies and chocolate and make sure you really are eating MEAT, VEGETABLES and not avoiding FAT. And eat your freakin' liver and oysters for crying out loud.
    Which fads are you referring to? Fasting, Intermittent Fasting, ketogenic, carb refeeding, low carb, very low carb, whole 30's, seasonal eating, pescatarianism, or the Warrior Diet?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast