Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 9

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You're sending a double negative to half your audience with either definition of "diet". To a well-read person (the armchair scientist with some education, and above), the term "diet" is clearly defined. The diet is what an animal eats. Period. For the television-raised masses, the term "diet" means eating something different than what is normally eaten, for a period of time, to achieve a result. Not everybody has broken free of the brainwashing machine. Somebody who has grown up around a mom who is always on a new "diet" has no idea that they, themselves, are already on a diet, whether it's good or bad. And then you have to consider who is writing the word and who is reading the word. The back and forth about usage of the word is non-stop because there is no way to magically educate millions of people.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

otzi Guest
    What I really love about Mark's Daily Apple forum is that people pretty much live and let live--as long as we're talking primal foods.

It is true we don't really know exactly what 'Grok' ate, but we absolutely, 100%, know some things he didn't eat: Wheat flour, processed seed/veg oils, trans fats, table sugar, high fructose corn syrup, other processed foods.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    You're sending a double negative to half your audience with either definition of "diet". To a well-read person (the armchair scientist with some education, and above), the term "diet" is clearly defined. The diet is what an animal eats. Period. For the television-raised masses, the term "diet" means eating something different than what is normally eaten, for a period of time, to achieve a result. Not everybody has broken free of the brainwashing machine. Somebody who has grown up around a mom who is always on a new "diet" has no idea that they, themselves, are already on a diet, whether it's good or bad. And then you have to consider who is writing the word and who is reading the word. The back and forth about usage of the word is non-stop because there is no way to magically educate millions of people.
    Exactly. I know that technically I am on a diet (my diet consists of...), but that is not the way many people understand the word - sadly even here at mda.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    I suppose it is considered heresy here if I mention that Grok was probably not an ancestor of the human race. Having said that, there have always been some people who lived in caves, and hunted for meat or grubbed for roots. But even just three hundred years ago in our "civilized" societies, our great grandparents lived on mostly seasonal, mostly unprocessed foods. Fat was a valuable commodity saved from fall-butchered animals; vegetarian societies were basically unknown. (Except for Hindus, who were not noted for long and healthy lives.) Please note I am not referring to the rich upper classes, but to the majority of populations. Remove wars, accidents and non-chronic diseases from the equation, and many of our ancestors lived to ripe old ages. Statistically, the average age might have been 40 years, but so many infants died at or shortly after birth, that a 40 year average had to be balanced out by quite a few 80 year olds. And they lived through thick and thin years, including "fad" diets of mostly one type of foodstuff due to circumstances. So my diet may be restricted to a single food group in the near future - for health and weight loss - and it will be both a diet and my diet, but not Grok's. Heheheh.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Seriously, the regular program works.
    Not for me, unfortunately

Funny thing is, I didn't even switch over to this way of eating to lose weight, it was always about improving my health. I know from reading all the success stories that I am not the norm, but eating low carb primal / paleo has been a health disaster for me. My hypothyroid symptoms and IBS got insanely bad, and as an added bonus I gained a bunch of extra fat that I didn't need.

While I know I am a weirdo who doesn't seem to ever respond to things the way everyone else does, I also know that there are plenty of others (especially women) who have also had pretty disappointing results eating low carb primal for an extended period of time and are trying to find something that works.

Besides, at least now we get to debate, 'Which Fad Diet Would Grok Have Done?'

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you have to do the program low carb. I think even if you try to be high carb, unless you eat bread and pasta you are going to struggle to go much higher than his max on the carb curve anyway. I really don't think the basic program is a low carb diet. It's a meat and veggies diet. It's a lower carb diet, but not a low carb diet. Still, you can even do basic paleo/primal with whatever carb ratios you want and it's still doing the basic diet because the whole point is to just eat real food based on an evolutionary template. The thing the Primal Blueprint isn't is a just eat this one food for 14 days diet. It's also not a make sure you add this super food found only on some obscure bush in the tropical rainforest diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    Seriously, just do the program. Do the WHOLE program. Include the fitness portion, the play, the sleep, the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap. If you really truly are having trouble, cut the wine, cheese, nuts, smoothies and chocolate and make sure you really are eating MEAT, VEGETABLES and not avoiding FAT. And eat your freakin' liver and oysters for crying out loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I think the next big thing will be fad combos. Take one fad from column A and one from column B, and voila!

And so I embarked upon my quest to eat nothing but potatoes for three straight years... and supplement with iodine!
    I<3 FW.

I don't think you have to do the program low carb. I think even if you try to be high carb, unless you eat bread and pasta you are going to struggle to go much higher than his max on the carb curve anyway. I really don't think the basic program is a low carb diet. It's a meat and veggies diet. It's a lower carb diet, but not a low carb diet. Still, you can even do basic paleo/primal with whatever carb ratios you want and it's still doing the basic diet because the whole point is to just eat real food based on an evolutionary template. The thing the Primal Blueprint isn't is a just eat this one food for 14 days diet. It's also not a make sure you add this super food found only on some obscure bush in the tropical rainforest diet.
    Huzzah for sensibleness! It is also not about eating exactly X# of grams of X macronutrient at exactly 5:34p.m and you must finish eating it within a 4 minute window. Just relax and eat, for crying out loud (but do keep a lid on the portion sizes). Plus walk a lot, sprint now and then, lift something heavy, sleep, play, sunshine, no poisons, no stupid mistakes, use your brain.

Of all the people on this forum I have ever seen (including myself) who asked, "Why isn't it working?" almost every single one was doing some combination of not really working the WHOLE program and/or just flat out eating too much.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Of all the people on this forum I have ever seen (including myself) who asked, "Why isn't it working?" almost every single one was doing some combination of not really working the WHOLE program and/or just flat out eating too much.
    Speaking of which, I am going for a second helping of my lamb curry now...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, you're dialed in. Weight is nothing compared to your overall health and nutrition. An overweight person who can jog a mile and eats liver is easily going to outlive an overweight person who can't and doesn't. No fads needed. No hacks required. You're good, you've done what you can. The rest is a roll of the dice.
    Weight is a measure of mass - not health. Fad diets attempt to equate the 2.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Seriously, just do the program. Do the WHOLE program.
    It's hard to do. Takes discipline. Like any other meaningful program.

But that's not what people really want - they want the silver bullet - the magic spell - the "fad".

Hence....

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast