Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 8

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Y'know, I could swear Paleo and Primal were meant to be a lifestyle, not just a diet. Why screw with a system that already works?

I love it, myself, and while I will screw around with a few things (gone a week only eating fruit, only eating nuts, tried VLC) it's mainly just for fun and to spice things up. At the core, I always live Primal.
    I dunno. I don't post on the threads here very often (kind of a lurker) but I too have been a little confused/concerned at the new fad things popping up. We're not trying to encourage disordered eating or yo-yo dieting of another form are we? Personally, I live Primally for my health and because I know it works for me.

...and it feels pretty badass saying "eat like a caveman". ;D

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not being snotty here, but for those that think very overweight people can easily accept a one to two pound per month loss, I invite you to become a 200 pound woman in our culture for awhile. Once you get in the mindset to get healthy, it can be frustrating to see such small results. My own weight loss slowed to a crawl in the 140s. I can accept that because for the most part that's a fairly acceptable weight, but if I'd only lost one or two pounds per month in the 180s or 170s, I probably would have questioned PB, or at the very least tweaked it. Or tried a hack. As it is, I pretty much combine PB with a reduced calorie approach.
    I'm fine with that level of loss. I feel better and at 178, look better. I'd rather be 150 in a year than be 150 in January but only able to eat say, VLC or not eating fruit or never having wine.

And it's a number- In mid October I was 177 and my size 12's were kind of snug. Today I am 179 and my 12's are getting loose. Cross Fit!

For me, sustainability is key.... and if you say "I used to do Primal, but it sucked because it was nothing but meat and veggies".... well, it wasn't Primal you were doing. You were doing something else.

Primal as written leads to healthy weight loss for most people and it is good. I always hate reading posts from newbies who are struggling that include that they don't eat fruit or have been in ketosis... I feel like they haven't been able to experience the benefits.

Anyhow, eat well- eat that whole list, move, sleep, enjoy life. If you aren't losing, eat a little less of the list, double check your 20%, change up your workout.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm not being snotty here, but for those that think very overweight people can easily accept a one to two pound per month loss, I invite you to become a 200 pound woman in our culture for awhile. Once you get in the mindset to get healthy, it can be frustrating to see such small results. My own weight loss slowed to a crawl in the 140s. I can accept that because for the most part that's a fairly acceptable weight, but if I'd only lost one or two pounds per month in the 180s or 170s, I probably would have questioned PB, or at the very least tweaked it. Or tried a hack. As it is, I pretty much combine PB with a reduced calorie approach.
    'xactly

I understand why people say just stick to the program. It does work. And it works for me also. I would just like to be there & reach my goals sooner than in 5 years. I think I can do better at the moment, better than 1 or 2lbs per month, like I have been patiently doing all these months since March.

As I get closer, I know weight loss will slow and as my body composition changes, I don't really know where I will end up on the scale. I am not looking for a number on the scale. But I am looking for a ballpark number, and I am waaaay out of the ballpark at the moment.

I know ppl say give it time, just do the program. That says a one size fits all and I just dont think it works that way. I have spent since March following primal carb curve guidelines, until finally carbs were very low, fat was very high. And it got to a point of weight loss crawling, to stopping, to actually gaining, and then fasting for 2 days to take it back off just so I could repeat. I lost and gained the same 2-4 pounds for months.

I do agree eat primally, and do so for a lifestyle, but I think there are little things we can do along the way to tweak our goals. If you want weight loss, eat this. If you want to build muscle, eat this. If you want to heal your gut, eat this. If you want your body to do a little housecleaning, eat this. That doesnt mean you eat that way forever but now and then, you might have to adjust in order to reach your goal.

I dont know why ppl get in a wad over threads popping up for the purpose of helping you to reach a specific goal. If it is not your goal, if it's not your bag baby, dont worry about it. Mark is always posting blogs for the purpose of tweaking for a specific goal and I dont see anyone getting in a wad over that.

To put on muscle, eat more protein How to Gain Weight and Build Muscle | Mark's Daily Apple
    Fasting had a 6 part series, each with specific benefits, one was for weight loss https://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/

Oh and heaven forbid a blog that talks about eating alot of something just because it is in season Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple I am curious what the reviews for the new book, 4SEASONSFORLIFEŽ Revolutionary Lifestyle, will bring since ppl really seem to get in a wad over it on the forum.

And then there is carb refeeding for weight loss. (Oh good gawd, it has a picture of a starchy sweet tator! What was he thinking!!!) Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    paleo is only a fad diet in terms of FAD instead of SAD: Freakin' Awesome Diet instead of Sad American Diet.
    I LOVE this, Zoebird.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    WHat breaks me up is people arguing or saying, Primal, Paleo, etc etc are NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle.

IT"S A DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What you consume is "YOUR DIET"

The African Lion's "diet" consists of eating meat.
    The American Bison's "diest" consists of foraging for grass.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    WHat breaks me up is people arguing or saying, Primal, Paleo, etc etc are NOT a diet, it's a lifestyle.

Yes, but the word diet is not often used in that context at least within the US. When one 'goes on a diet' it does not mean they are going to be eating the standard whatever they have been eating before. It is generally done for health and or weightloss specifically and is a variation from their normal way of eating. So when one says primal is not a diet they mean it is not a short term thing to lose X pounds or fix X issue. It is a lifestyle meaning a forever change not a temporary change.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

gopintos is offline Senior Member

I know, I hate that they use the same word for different things. I dont want to be on a diet, but my diet does consist of certain things and not certain other things.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Graycat is offline Senior Member

Whether you use the word diet as a verb or as a noun makes all the difference.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Paleo diets I would say are on the top off all fad diets.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member

+1!

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast