Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 7

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNull View Post
    Spirituality is nonsense.
    Disagree....but, your welcome to your own views.

BTW I agree with the OP. You can spin what she says however you like, but a fad is a fad. Now if you wish to say something like the potato diet is part of a whole, as in our ancestors when hungry and had to live on tubers for a period....FINE! At least you have a framework of starting and ending your self prescribed monofood diet. Seems reasonable. It would be much more worrysome for me to think that people eating twinkies and bearclaws all day switch to a potato only diet for 2 weeks then back to the bearclaws....THAT IS THE FAD.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-09-2012 at 06:56 PM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I actually think that Mark's post about how friendships and community will save you in the zombie apocalypse was one of his masterpieces. That's been my thinking for a long long time. I was only assuming a cranky affect by calling it "crap". And actually I think the potato diet is sort of genius, and maybe it's just me, but I fear it maybe invited other crazy fads to spring up, as if it's okay to now start posting crazy stupid weight loss miracles. Anyway, whatever. I have a belly full of raw fish and I'm happy now so carry on...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

egrok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post

And so I embarked upon my quest to eat nothing but potatoes for three straight years... and supplement with iodine!
    Literally LOLing

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Well if sharing stories... Around 10 years ago (I'm 46 now, so when about 35 or so) I started developing a bit of a belly. Nothing much but it was there, and annoying.

OK, embarrassing.

I did a vague kind of Atkins things, very low carb, plus a combination of jikishin ju jitsu and weightlifting. The results were great, quite 'ripped', very strong, looked good.

Even got into bodybuilding scene for awhile, though generally leaned towards the idea of functional fitness and a body that was sexy, rather than massive or muscular.

So the irony is I'm the guy that many friends would turn to for advice on weight loss and muscle-building - except that bit by bit as I age my muscles have shrunk, my belly has bloated and you couldn't put my pic and the word 'bodybuilder' anywhere near each other today.

Didn't take long either, from pretty fit to pretty damn flabby in about 5 or 6 years.

See, thing is I still DO tend to eat low carb, high protein, not too much fat but not scared of it and working out now and then.

I bought the PB, the 21 day book and both PB cookbooks. From all that I've basically learned - stop eating legumes (I had baked beans almost every day) quit ALL grains (I'd often fill an empty tummy with some oatmeal) and... well that's about it, other than a new-found determination to cut out all processed food.

Heck, I was eating pretty clean anyway. My typical diet would be a chicken stir-fry with broccoli, onion, bit of cabbage or some other veggie (and the oatmeal).

So why so fat?

Well I know why, mostly - because I spend way too much time sat on my butt on this computer! Also far too often get dragged along to some family gathering, where it's rice with rice and a side dish of ricy-flavored rice over fried rice...

(Yeah I live in Asia)

I'm getting back into jungle-trekking, hiking and off-road scrambling, plus working out with weights again - when I can, as I have a persistent shoulder injury and some weird tennis elbow issue.

So yeah, I know the PB, not just the diet side of it, is good. It's a great mind-set and way to live your life and all that.

But in the meantime I have a belly that needs banishing, so if you don't mind I'm gonna munch on spuds for awhile....

AC

denshand is offline Junior Member
    I think a lot of diets are converging on the basic principles of eat clean and get rid of the processed crap. For a long time, you had extreme diets that were advocating all sorts of strange things. Lately, however, the basic principles of eating clean and avoiding processed crap, sugar, grains, etc is getting more popular. There's still a lot of different names out there, but if anything this type of lifestyle is getting more popular rather than less popular.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Seriously, just do the program. Do the WHOLE program. Include the fitness portion, the play, the sleep, the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap. If you really truly are having trouble, cut the wine, cheese, nuts, smoothies and chocolate and make sure you really are eating MEAT, VEGETABLES and not avoiding FAT. And eat your freakin' liver and oysters for crying out loud.
    Oh GD. Are you referring to me on the liver stuff we argued about? Do you really think grok was killing a deer to eat liver several times per week? The whole point about balancing nutrient intake is to mimic what our hunter/gatherers were eating....seasonally. If it's based on lab research by someone like Dr Richard Johnson that foods which jack up uric acid production are what trigger fat accumulation then it is what it is. I don't see any of his research being contradictory to paleo/primal at all. In fact it makes sense from a paleo POV...if in fact seasonal foods are what pushed a metabolic response to grok putting on fat for the lean winter months. They were concerned about survival. We don't have that same seasonal caloric deficit concern that they did. Our problem is having access to these foods (like fructose) all year round that keep people in a metabolic state of wanting to put on fat (couch potatoes) year round.

I see people in MDA recommending others eat maple syrup over sugar as a sweetener...as if there is a difference over the other. There isn't. You have to go where the science takes you. And if the science indicates foods that jack up uric acid inside the cells causes the mitochondria to produce less ATP and sets a person up for "metabolic syndrome" it is what it is. It's not a fad diet but further refines and explains why something like HFCS causes people to over eat and become obese.
    Last edited by Scott F; 11-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    I remember there was a poster (still here so won't make names) who kept asking why pb wasn't working ect.. When I browse they're posts I see posts like "I don't REALLY believe in low carb" "I think it's ok to eat ice cream once a day" "hey, if u want it but its not primal, just eat it! Live life" ect...

Put it all together and they weren't even doin primal. This leads them to look for more diets that "work"

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    paleo is only a fad diet in terms of FAD instead of SAD: Freakin' Awesome Diet instead of Sad American Diet.

anyway, people who come to this are curious. i read all kinds of stuff. I still just do primal (now with IF protocol)!

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    "denshand" is a spambot.

That bot is simply pasting what other people have posted, in this case copying what Kvalhion posted on page 1.

AC

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not being snotty here, but for those that think very overweight people can easily accept a one to two pound per month loss, I invite you to become a 200 pound woman in our culture for awhile. Once you get in the mindset to get healthy, it can be frustrating to see such small results. My own weight loss slowed to a crawl in the 140s. I can accept that because for the most part that's a fairly acceptable weight, but if I'd only lost one or two pounds per month in the 180s or 170s, I probably would have questioned PB, or at the very least tweaked it. Or tried a hack. As it is, I pretty much combine PB with a reduced calorie approach.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast