Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 6

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    As someone who has lost her mother and has a ton of photos of her, I can tell you that I very rarely look at the pictures. It is the memories of the love that matter, not the photographs.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    As someone who has lost her mother and has a ton of photos of her, I can tell you that I very rarely look at the pictures. It is the memories of the love that matter, not the photographs.
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Am sure that your children do not need any photos to remember the hugs, kisses and love that you gave them.
    All good to know. I spent alot of years just trying to disappear. I am so glad that woman is gone and those days are behind me. (I guess she really did disappear... and now they are stuck with me in her place!!) haha

Okay back to your regularly scheduled debate regarding fads on the forum
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The personal stories are just as important as the heated debates IMO. I haven't had children or lost my mother - so what the hell do I know? I enjoy participating in forums for the personal stories as much as anything, if I am honest.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JudyCr is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    The personal stories are just as important as the heated debates IMO. I haven't had children or lost my mother - so what the hell do I know? I enjoy participating in forums for the personal stories as much as anything, if I am honest.
    Same here..

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I see what you mean. Power to you.
    I agree. I didn't mean to say I wouldn't take a "quick fix" if I could find one either. I have considered doing the potato thing myself. I guess I just meant I think that's why the "hacks" are popular, sort of back to SB's original question... It can be hard to feel like you're creeping toward your goals rather than sprinting. I'm in the same boat.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    'the cultivating friendships and other spiritually uplifting crap'?

Glad to hear you are embracing the whole program ... not.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    Not entirely sure I'm getting your exact focus, but three things spring to mind:

1) Many people are not willing to invest hard work over a few months. The payoff has to be near-immediate.

2) Too many people creating their own interpretations of primal/paleo/ancestral. It's easier to go wild when the guidelines are wishy-washy.

3) Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping "common wisdom", or "the establishment". Some folks take that way too far and think that it's all valid, as long as it's "alternative". Baby and bathwater kind of thing. So they adopt crap with chakras and humors, stuff like that.

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    Spirituality is nonsense.

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Yea and I ate a cookie today. You are one-upped.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNull View Post
    Not entirely sure I'm getting your exact focus, but three things spring to mind:

1) Many people are not willing to invest hard work over a few months. The payoff has to be near-immediate.

2) Too many people creating their own interpretations of primal/paleo/ancestral. It's easier to go wild when the guidelines are wishy-washy.

3) Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping "common wisdom", or "the establishment". Some folks take that way too far and think that it's all valid, as long as it's "alternative". Baby and bathwater kind of thing. So they adopt crap with chakras and humors, stuff like that.
    On number three: This could also read "Once people adopt primal/paleo, they are dumping 'common wisdom'" into primal/paleo, and incorporating CW into primal/paleo principles. For example when people call it a "diet" or talk about "cheats."
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 11-09-2012 at 05:53 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast