Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 5

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    people still want a "quick-fix". Though I was always under the impression primal isn't a quick fix, but rather a rather painless way to get to where you want to be. Wherever that may be, and however long it may take. Along the way, where you want to be may also change. That is why I love Primal so much.

Just stick to the program. Seriously.
    I think the quick fix thing really plays in a lot. And especially when you read about people dropping a ton of weight really fast and wonder why that's not happening for you. From what I've learned now I think most of those folks were significantly overweight to begin with. If you don't have a lot to lose or are close to your goal it gets so much harder. Or it seems like it does. It's taking me some mind shifting to let go of the scale and watch the other results I'm getting.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I think the quick fix thing really plays in a lot. And especially when you read about people dropping a ton of weight really fast and wonder why that's not happening for you. From what I've learned now I think most of those folks were significantly overweight to begin with. If you don't have a lot to lose or are close to your goal it gets so much harder. Or it seems like it does. It's taking me some mind shifting to let go of the scale and watch the other results I'm getting.
    +1.

An extreme diet need not be faddy - so long as one embarks on it with eyes open, in the spirit of self-experimentation, having an understanding of what the parameters are about.

I agree totally about letting go of the scale. I found the scale useful while I was losing weight fast. Once weight loss slowed down to 1 lb a month it became counter-productive and obsession-inducing. I haven't weighed myself for about 2 months :-)
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

otzi Guest
    I think we are getting off track. The OP was referring to 'single-food' diets as the fads she was concerned with. I whole-heartedly agree that no one around here should pick a single food and plan to live on it for the rest of their life...that would be just stupid.

I read somewhere recently that 90+% of overweight people who lose fat on any diet fail to keep it off for more than 5 years.

I don't look at Primal Blueprint as a diet, it's a blueprint--or guide--to healthful living. We have to fine-tune and tweak it to our individual circumstances and genetic expression. I'm 47, so I figure I have about 50 years to try to get it right. Every now and then, I might try something weird, like potatoes for 2 weeks, or cold baths in the winter, to see if that makes a difference on my health and well-being.

I think one HUGE difference between us and our healthy ancestors who we are trying to emulate is variety in diet. I can't believe Ol' Grok ate more than a few different food items most of the year. He definitely didn't have access to the huge variety of food we have now, ie. bananas outside their season, eggs all year, butter ever...you get the idea. I'm 100% certain that the Grokster had to survive eating a single food item for weeks or months on end when food was scarce. Most likely thing this would have been was a starchy tuber or nuts...things that last a long time in nature and are found in large quantity.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I just find it amazing, that we can all eat the same foods - PB foods, for the most part - obviously there are intolerances & personal preferences, etc but aside from that, we can eat PB "approved" foods but in different proportions & different macro ratios, and have different/same results towards reaching our individual goals. And that does take some time, some experimentation, to figure out what works for us and what doesnt. What makes us feel good and what doesnt.

I think these "fads" are just tweaking the PB to fit individual goals. Not everyone starts out as tri-athletes and not everyone starts out as super-obese.

So yes I could keep at it like I was, losing a couple pounds per month, or by just tweaking the ratio of the macros or experimenting with various foods, or lack thereof in the case of fasting/IF, I found that I can actually drop the fat a bit faster. Doesn't make one way right or wrong. But for me, I would rather get there sooner than later. And that certainly doesnt mean it is a "quick fix" as it is not fast by any means. But some ways do seem to be a bit faster than others.
    Last edited by gopintos; 11-09-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    So yes I could keep at it like I was, losing a couple pounds per month, or by just tweaking the ratio of the macros or experimenting with various foods, or lack thereof in the case of fasting/IF, I found that I can actually drop the fat a bit faster. Doesn't make one way right or wrong. But for me, I would rather get there sooner than later. And that certainly doesnt mean it is a "quick fix" as it is not fast by any means. But some ways do seem to be a bit faster than others.
    I see what you mean. Power to you.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I see what you mean. Power to you.
    Thanks. Didnt mean to bark earlier either. I have not always been heavy, and I just feel like I have lost alot of good years hiding behind my weight. When my mom died, good healthy eating went out the window. Which was okay because I was tired of always being pestered by the boys, and from abuses from outsiders when I was younger, putting on weight and being less desirable to the boys just seemed like it would fix those things I was trying to deal with. W/O boring with details, I have been on both sides of heavy and fit up through and even after baby #4, until weight ballooned after our house fire a few years ago, so I have been heavy and thin for all the wrong and all the right reasons. Before I embarked on my journey, I had given up. I settled into being a little old lady, on my last leg. Again w/o boring details, I finally snapped out of it. I feel amazing, my life is amazing and I have spent the last couple of decades overweight so now I just want to get the excess weight off.

Sorry to derail. I guess I have just been thinking about my own personal journey more today so some things here just jumped out at me. Sorry about that

^ Are you planning to post photos of your progress, gopintos? 67 lbs loss is very impressive.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    ^ Are you planning to post photos of your progress, gopintos? 67 lbs loss is very impressive.
    Thanks. I guess because I am not where I want to be yet or where I know I can be, I hesitate? Also, I have been very good to make sure that I was not in very many pictures over the last few decades, especially when at my heaviest. That is one of my biggest regrets. I did not take enough pictures (hardly any) with my children while they were growing up. ( If I were to die today, they just would not have much of anything to remember me by. They do not have a picture of me holding them in my arms, smothering them with as many kisses and all the love that I could give them. And a year ago, I would have been okay with that, just to have been forgotten, but now it makes me very sad. Anyways, there were a few taken but I am not sure where they are. Crashed computers, computers lost in the fire.... but I saw some somewhere and all I could think about was how disgusted I was, so I just have to find them again.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    And so far all three of you are female. That changes a lot of things!
    I do best on eating about 30gms carb per day. Can you see the back of my head in the avatar photo? That's my natural colour. My immediate ancestors are from the Rhine delta spilling into the North Sea... and I'm female. But I have to say that as I've been increasing my level of activity there have been few times where I have craved some starch after a heavy work out.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Thanks. I guess because I am not where I want to be yet or where I know I can be, I hesitate? Also, I have been very good to make sure that I was not in very many pictures over the last few decades, especially when at my heaviest. That is one of my biggest regrets. I did not take enough pictures (hardly any) with my children while they were growing up. ( If I were to die today, they just would not have much of anything to remember me by. They do not have a picture of me holding them in my arms, smothering them with as many kisses and all the love that I could give them. And a year ago, I would have been okay with that, just to have been forgotten, but now it makes me very sad. Anyways, there were a few taken but I am not sure where they are. Crashed computers, computers lost in the fire.... but I saw some somewhere and all I could think about was how disgusted I was, so I just have to find them again.
    Ah, bless! I understand - I have very few 'fat' photos too ... however, I didn't have the incentive of children to have any taken.

Am sure that your children do not need any photos to remember the hugs, kisses and love that you gave them.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast