Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 2

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    the failure rate is what makes a diet a "fad" or not.
    Weight Watchers is most definitely a fad diet then, but one that gets a lot of respect.

For me the definition of 'fad' would be more about fleeting popularity, than effectiveness.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Which fads are you referring to? Fasting, Intermittent Fasting, ketogenic, carb refeeding, low carb, very low carb, whole 30's, seasonal eating, pescatarianism, or the Warrior Diet?
    Good point, Otzi. Most these ideas support each other and overlap. I have taken them all to heart and applied these to my life. Are any of them fads? I don't think so. They're ideas we can try out on top of our existing ways of eating to see if they provide good results. So you've brought to the front a question. Who is calling what a fad, and based on what criteria?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm wondering what differentiates an experimental hack from a "fad diet?"

If a bunch of women find that they have to tweak primal a bit because it's different for them, is that a fad?

OTOH, I'm totally impressed by the amount of outrage and vitriol engendered by the lowly potato. I always thought of it as a bit of a wimp. Now I bow to the potato's power.

Ignore potatoes. If you're a typical white person with good amounts of neanderthal ancestry, high-fat VLC is the way to go for most of us. If you're a pure sapiens, South African, etc., go for the starches, fine, for most of you. As a Neanderthal hybrid I've had terrible luck trying to add potatoes and starches back into my food menu. Diarrhea and bloating and binges, hunger that won't go away, etc. When I stay high-fat MOST of the time I have even energy, normal appetite, etc.

That's a fad. Adding potatoes to a high-fat diet.

But seriously. F potatoes. Even sweet potatoes, I'm learning. Not for super-white neanderthal peoples.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I didn't mean I bow to potato's nutritive value. Just it's power to get so many panties in a wad. A spud is a spud. Once in awhile, not every day.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Funny, this very pale white woman finds that LCHF is a recipe for feeling like crap. I'm glad VLC works for you, but it's ridiculous to dictate that for all people of European ancestry because you happen to do well on it. I am far, far better off with reasonable quantities of starchy vegetables and fruit in my diet.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

White people? Living offa potatoes? Irish I could think of a single example of that...

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    As someone whose skin approximates frog "belly white," VLC was one of the worst things I ever did to myself, even if you include all my ankle sprains. That was proof alone that depression, for me, is rooted in diet.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Which fads are you referring to?
    Potatoes and now mangoes, mostly. I'm waiting for topics on Hoodia or something.

Just so you understand, I'm not targeting the potato diet specifically, it just seems like suddenly everybody wants a magic single-food-item diet. Carb ratios and meal timings/frequency are just add-ons that could be part of any diet.

Seriously, the regular program works. There may be a few outliers with really bad metabolic problems, but even they will be helped by the basic primal blueprint. There may be a few extra pounds that won't go away for lots of people, even those who aren't damaged. But if you haven't tried the fitness portion of it, maybe that would be a better place to go than 2 weeks of nothing but mangos or whatever.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, come on now. I said "most" three times in there!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast