Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 12

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    And of course the ultimate irony is that not allowing oneself to eat available food is anything but natural (or primal or paleo or etc).
    You should watch the documentary Hungry for Food. In it they talk about how society is eating "food like products". Food is made to look and taste good but does not have much value at all. I guess that's where the paleo or primal is (although not outright) saying that really isn't food. Twinkie may taste good, but it's the farthest thing from food.

I also had a thought this morning (done for the week now). The arguement about diet and it's meaning. We as humans have become so lazy that things get changed thru it. Diet is what we eat. However, people will say "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet", to lazy to utter the final words, "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet, to lose weight". Big differance. It's funny, someone said "how lazy have we become when we take a two letter word and abbreviate it, ie "at" "@" LOL

Have a great day!
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet", to lazy to utter the final words, "I can't eat that, I'm on a diet, to lose weight". Big differance.
    Yes I have to catch myself, maybe I said this already or just thought about it, anyways, I start to say I don't want to eat it "this" cuz it is not in my diet, but then I know they will think I mean "on a diet" which I am not On a diet nor feel like I am, and I don't want them to think oh how sad, she is depriving herself or get into the "all things in moderation" argument yada yada. So I just try to choose my words.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    But I have a wide perspective now & a happy, gentle pause & pulse in my life energy - emotionally, hormonally/metabolically, mentally it feels nice to be alive & mobile. And I know goodness when I feel it in my life & this is a very good feeling I've regained in my life, feels like youthful vigor but w/ aged maturity - very cool.
    Yeah, it feels really satisfying to chase health rather than weight. Of course, I want to be thin and attractive, but it's different when it comes along with truly optimal health, even if I don't get quite as skinny as my brain thinks it ought to be to measure up.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Now, vanity weight- chasing an abnormally low body % probably does not work that way and it seems like just about anyone here who is unhappy with PB and following it carefully is trying to shed fat that the body thinks it needs to be healthy. They aren't fat or overweight people.
    Yeah, the hardest thing is to come to terms with what you have been given. I don't stand with "feet together, thighs apart" and never will. So why chase an ideal like that? I am what I am, a rounded endo/mesomorph. So why not just be the best endo/mesomorph I can be? People are way more attractive when they have flaws but radiate confidence, health and happiness anyway.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people here need to really rethink the idea that:

Of course, I want to be thin and attractive
    is a truth. Attractiveness has more to it than no excess fat on your thighs. If you lose so much fat, that your face looks gaunt or your breasts go away..... or you lose shape to your ass. Thin women often do not age well. You have to realize that the beauties of our media are 20 and don't look as good when they hit 40. I point to Nigella Lawson. She has aged beautifully and is not thin. No man or woman looks at her and says "oooo, thighs touch". And really, when we look at a super model, we don't say "holy shit- look at the space between her thighs".

Beauty is a mix of things..... and often the shit you do to have size 0 thighs chips away at other things that make you beautiful. If say, my choice was to have thin hair and a thin body by eating VLC or have a normal body and stunning hair by eating moderate carbs..... well, hand me the bananas!!!!

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

excursivey is offline Senior Member

is a truth. Attractiveness has more to it than no excess fat on your thighs. If you lose so much fat, that your face looks gaunt or your breasts go away..... or you lose shape to your ass. Thin women often do not age well. You have to realize that the beauties of our media are 20 and don't look as good when they hit 40. I point to Nigella Lawson. She has aged beautifully and is not thin. No man or woman looks at her and says "oooo, thighs touch". And really, when we look at a super model, we don't say "holy shit- look at the space between her thighs".

Beauty is a mix of things..... and often the shit you do to have size 0 thighs chips away at other things that make you beautiful. If say, my choice was to have thin hair and a thin body by eating VLC or have a normal body and stunning hair by eating moderate carbs..... well, hand me the bananas!!!!
    Well said!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Betorq is offline Senior Member

True, though alternating between VLC during the week & having healthy but controlled carby indulgences on the weekends works for me to satisfy many of my needs, both socially as well as metabolically. Though it's easy to do that, once I'm lean & in full fat burning mode. Loads of fat, coconut being my go-to oil for many years, eaten & applied externally, keeps me thin & happy too. I just bought a large 2.5 lb tub @ Costco yesterday, its nice to have a surplus to pour on freely & make smoothies.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    True, though alternating between VLC during the week & having healthy but controlled carby indulgences on the weekends works for me to satisfy many of my needs, both socially as well as metabolically.
    Glad you posted.

I dont know but it was nice to see the different things that ppl do to shake things up. I was in a mode - an all or nothing mode - which I tend to do. I am the last flea off a dead dog, making sure I give it enough time. Now I am able to see what others are talking about rather than just following one camp.

And even though ppl say you have to figure out what works for you, I would be stuck trying to do what was working for them. So these "fads" have helped me to see that I seem to have better weight loss results when I mix things up. Try something new. So now after a little of this and a little of that, things are moving along again.

Once I hit maintenance I may settle into a more uniform routine but for now I have discovered that the alternating has helped me to jumpstart things again. It has taught me to pay attention to my own results and not be afraid to take a new path.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    This is me:

I think it's safe to say that I have a few unnecessary pounds. I'm a very long way from sunken cheeks, no boobs or thighs that don't touch, not that I'm trying to get there at all. A normal body would be fine, but it doesn't seem possible for me at this stage in my life. So I'm going for stronger and hoping that will do. And since stronger seems like a better choice than perpetually hungry, I have to eat enough protein and other healthy things to get there, so I have no choice really but to just eat a normal healthy paleo/primal diet at this time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is me:

I think it's safe to say that I have a few unnecessary pounds. I'm a very long way from sunken cheeks, no boobs or thighs that don't touch, not that I'm trying to get there at all. A normal body would be fine, but it doesn't seem possible for me at this stage in my life. So I'm going for stronger and hoping that will do. And since stronger seems like a better choice than perpetually hungry, I have to eat enough protein and other healthy things to get there, so I have no choice really but to just eat a normal healthy paleo/primal diet at this time.
    You look great!! Your profile pic is great also! I am tweaking to get the weight off, but I can see myself focusing on the Strength aspect. I love being able to do things for myself and I feel so much better with muscle than just being skinny. I have never just been skinny though, always athletic and though I may not get to that place again, I do prefer "some meat on my bones"

I think that is why I don't have a goal weight. 150lbs can look very different if one is more muscular. And I know I dont have to tell anyone here that, but if I told someone IRL my goal was 150lbs they would look at me like, why do you want to be so fat? but yet, if I told them I want to lose X more lbs, they would be like, why do you want to lose so much more weight, you would be too skinny?... and they would not realize that the two equal the same thing.
    Last edited by gopintos; 11-16-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast