Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so many fad diets on the forum lately? page 10

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    DeeDub;

Not sure why you say it's hard to do? Althought fairly new to this (did things similar before), I find it extremely easy.

It's also very easy to cook for a whole family that is not doing it. My wife and I have watched what we eat for awhile now, mostly followed the 4 hour body, no white (rice, flour, sugar, processed, etc.). Easy? You bet. Last nite we had fish, green beans and (for the kids) white rice. Just because we have a dish on the table does not mean we have to eat it.

Breakfast on week ends, I'll cook up bacon, eggs, hashbrowns, toast. I just eat the bacon and the eggs with some avocado. Simple.

Wife and I eat, protein and some veggies every meal, again, how hard is that?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Rindy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by excursivey View Post
    I think the quick fix thing really plays in a lot. And especially when you read about people dropping a ton of weight really fast and wonder why that's not happening for you. From what I've learned now I think most of those folks were significantly overweight to begin with. If you don't have a lot to lose or are close to your goal it gets so much harder. Or it seems like it does. It's taking me some mind shifting to let go of the scale and watch the other results I'm getting.
    I am with you all the way on this! After nearly five years of losing weight and getting close to goal I now find myself getting impatient and wanting to get there quicker. I have only been doing Paleo/Primal for about ten weeks now and the other benefits I am finding along the way are amazing! So now I have to try and forget the scale and weight loss and just concentrate on my health - but it's not always easy and I have to constantly remind myself that the scale is not the boss of me!

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I agree! This eating primal/paleo isn't a weight loss program, it's a modality that brings better health and it's a lifestyle that encourages balance not extremes. It's easy you guys, if you have weight to loose, decrease your carbs for a while but not too long because you'll become deficient in vitamins/minerals found in all the delicious veggies that aren't in your diet. Stop trying to micromanage your diets, just eat, breath, sleep and move!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Oh, ok.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think it is valuable to keep trying new things and if they lead to better health, then that's something to keep. So in regards to the potatoes, I tried them for a day and a half and I thought hey, I think these potatoes are good for me. So now I eat them with my meals and I think that's been an overall benefit to my health. And by "health" or "working for me" in my case I mean that I feel a little bit more like walking on sunshine than before. Not that I lost any weight. I'm done with losing weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Rindy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Furst Dunaharm View Post
    Weight is a measure of mass - not health. Fad diets attempt to equate the 2.
    Nice one - nail on the head!!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Statistically, the average age might have been 40 years, but so many infants died at or shortly after birth, that a 40 year average had to be balanced out by quite a few 80 year olds. And they lived through thick and thin years, including "fad" diets of mostly one type of foodstuff due to circumstances. So my diet may be restricted to a single food group in the near future - for health and weight loss - and it will be both a diet and my diet, but not Grok's. Heheheh.
    I talked to a doctor (dermatologist) about this diet. He didn't believe diet had anything to do with acne. I wonder if he believes acutane has anything to do with IBS or the hypothyroidism my 22 year old daughter now has to live with. His response was to mimicking a hunter/gatherer diet was "well they only lived to an average age of 30." Sort of. They actually lived to an average age of 33. I showed him the following table: Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From that table it looks to me that upper paleolithic people fared pretty well relative to all the cultures that followed them, right up until modern times.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    His response was to mimicking a hunter/gatherer diet was "well they only lived to an average age of 30." Sort of. They actually lived to an average age of 33. I showed him the following table: Life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From that table it looks to me that upper paleolithic people fared pretty well relative to all the cultures that followed them, right up until modern times.
    Life expectancy is a pretty weak argument since infant mortality and access to clean water/healthcare facilities really skew the data.

All it took for me was to look at the skulls and bones of our not-so-distant ancestors and see their perfectly formed teeth and strong bones. Diseases like cancer and diabetes and obesity didn't come on the scene until fairly recently.

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I'm not being snotty here, but for those that think very overweight people can easily accept a one to two pound per month loss, I invite you to become a 200 pound woman in our culture for awhile. Once you get in the mindset to get healthy, it can be frustrating to see such small results. My own weight loss slowed to a crawl in the 140s. I can accept that because for the most part that's a fairly acceptable weight, but if I'd only lost one or two pounds per month in the 180s or 170s, I probably would have questioned PB, or at the very least tweaked it. Or tried a hack. As it is, I pretty much combine PB with a reduced calorie approach.
    Most people forget that getting to be a "200lb woman" (or man, not picking) didn't happen overnight, and gaining weight is MUCH easier than taking it back off. Sitting around for 10 years and eating whatever isn't reversed in two months no matter how much we would like it to be.
    Adopting a healthy lifestyle, maintaining same, and working to see results is the only way to accomplish this. Yea, its frustrating and slow (I'm not pot-kettling here, I wish I was at my target NOWNOWNOWNOW!) but 's the only way.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh, ok.

Gopintos, you are too cute.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast